Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What else is homemade at your house??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
ffmedic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What else is homemade at your house??

I discovered this awesome hobby while talking to some peers about homemade things. I had started this kick of making things yourself after moving from the city out to the sticks. In addition to beer, I also make my own jerky (deer and otherwise), applesauce, apple butter, apple juice, marinara sauce, and eggs from backyard chickens. So what, if anything, do you make at your home?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4448 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Let's see- veggies all homegrown, meat and fish (lamb, venison, fish), soap, shampoo, detergent, lotions, beer, wine, wild rice, cheese, milk and eggs, and pretty much anything I can. We can vension and fish, and pickle other things (fish) and eat only what we grow, friends grow, or we can hand-harvest.

The list of what I buy is shorter. I buy most clothes (but at thrift stores), some groceries like coffee, and "big" stuff like my car, house, insurance, utilities, etc, But for my basic needs we produce our own. We don't eat refined products (again, except for coffee!) so we don't spend more than about $30 or so a week on stuff at the store like toilet paper and a few other items.

But, we are old hippies! We don't eat refined foods, or buy new clothes. I'm sure I'm quite an oddity around here.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We don't buy bread in my house anymore. And I can't remember the last time I ordered a pizza. Being a chef, just about everything in my house is 100% scratch. Including butter, pizza dough, fermented beverages and pasta.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
People Like This 
Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Let's see- veggies all homegrown, meat and fish (lamb, venison, fish), soap, shampoo, detergent, lotions, beer, wine, wild rice, cheese, milk and eggs, and pretty much anything I can. We can vension and fish, and pickle other things (fish) and eat only what we grow, friends grow, or we can hand-harvest.

The list of what I buy is shorter. I buy most clothes (but at thrift stores), some groceries like coffee, and "big" stuff like my car, house, insurance, utilities, etc, But for my basic needs we produce our own. We don't eat refined products (again, except for coffee!) so we don't spend more than about $30 or so a week on stuff at the store like toilet paper and a few other items.

But, we are old hippies! We don't eat refined foods, or buy new clothes. I'm sure I'm quite an oddity around here.
sheesh..you have a full time job just living I too am an old hippie but my SO is not! If I could get away with buying clothes at the thrift store I would.

Alas, a full time job keeps me a bit opposite...though I love to keep us in salsa, pepper sauce,pasta and herbs. And she makes great bread. Not much I know, but I left the commune long ago.......and that's another story.

Green Bay Packers - 13 Time World Champions

Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I do a lot of canning and preserving. I just started dipping my toes in it last year, but now that my garden has tripled in size I will most likely make all my own jams for the coming year. I will also be freezing and preserving large amounts of vegetables. The goal is to not buy any vegetables from the grocery store all winter.

I make all my own ice cream and do 95% of the baking at my house. On the horizon is cheese making, bread making, and getting a few egg laying hens.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
ffmedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see there are others interested in self-efficiency. Some people look at you funny, but when the world ends, I'll at least have chicken and beer.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I make my own chicken stock, applesauce, yogurt, salsa, can tomatoes. I also make dog treats from the spent grains. Thinking about making bread fron the spent grains.

And of course make great beer......

Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I envy the time and skillset you people have to make all of that stuff from scratch. Very cool.

I've started making spent grain bread from my beer. That's the only homemade (other than beer) thing I do on a regular basis. I do cook a lot and I like to start from scratch as much as possible when time allows. I'm pretty good at it and I am slowly working my gal away from the idea that the convenience of stuff coming in a bottle is better than having something fresh and to your specifications.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 49

My wife makes soap and sews. We also grow a variety of fruits, vegetables, and herbs. I'd have to say that beer has probably taken the majority of my interest though.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I make my own beer, and that's about it. I enjoy cooking, but don't do it that often. I work long hours, but this thread is making me feel lazy!

I suddenly have an urge to plow the backyard!

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider
LostBrewer Likes This 

Quick Reply