Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What does open fermentation do to the beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
LeapingLamb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What does open fermentation do to the beer?

hey guys,

I've been trying to read up on open fermentation and get some more information on it. I read that it is quite beneficial for the yeast in wheat beers to do an open fermentaiton. I have a wit fermenting that I left the lid open on my bucket during primary fermentation and only had a sheet of cheese cloth over it to prevent dust and insects to land in my beer ... the smell was just heavenly so I think the beer will taste great.

My question thou:

What is actually happening during the open fermentaiton? is the yeast more active due to the lowered pressure and added oxygen contact? Or is it less active since I had to rouse it up twice? The only thing I came accross on the web really just said and I am paraphrasing

"Open fermentation good makes beer taste mmmmmhmmm"

I don't know if there are any scientific journals out there that you guys could refer me to to get a more scientific explanation on the mmmmhmm part and how it becomes mmmhmm.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
h-bar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 32

This isn't super scientific, but it is interesting! http://www.brewery.org/brewery/library/OpenFerm.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply