The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What do you guys think about an official "beer exchange?"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i'd be in. as long as i didn't get more than two of the same beer styles in a row. and as for the donating end, i think there should maybe be a multi-tiered level for entries: say one for begginer brewers(or beers that you don't feel are your best) with that category looking for feedback and recomendations. the second for experamental/unusual/moderately good brews: something to show off, spark curiosities, styles not usually avaliable. and the third for those beers you're really proud of-personal bests, award winners, and styles that need extra long conditioning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
jonbomb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroosBrewz View Post
I have been inspired by a recent episode of the BasicBrewing podcast. Do you guys think it would be feasible to start some kind of official beer exchange on homebrewtalk.com.. Or maybe even a standalone website?.. Guys could sign up to "trade" their greatest homebrew masterpieces with other homebrewers. I know that a lot of that goes on here "unofficially" already, but do you guys think we could ever start some kind of official thread or forum or site where we could have a community of homebrewers willing to trade their beers for other peoples beers? I think it would be a great way to try lots of beer as well as get honest feedback from our colleagues. Of course there would be a few details to work out, and everything would be based on the honor system (I think homebrewers are an honest lot) to ship beers, but I think we could totally start something like that.. In fact, I think it could be the start of something big.. What do you guys think?

I want the barter system back. I give you beer you give me grain or hops to make my beer. This sounds like great idea for brewers to learn from eachother. We could become a more advanced community as a whole.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm not touching this with a 200-foot pole.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

i've been involved with T-shirt exchanges on a sportster forum and basically they had an "Official _____ Swap Sign-Up Thread" where you post your name and location and type of product (i.e. style of beer for this one). There would be a deadline, and after that is passed the thread closes. \

Then the organizer (whoever starts the thread and swap) starts a "Official _____ Swap Pairings Thread" where they post the pairings who will swap with each other. Then the members of the swap will post when they have contacted, confirmed, and sent the product.

It has been mostly successful but there have been some deadbeats who would just never respond or bail out or whatever. All you do then is just call them out on the public forum and let everyone know not to deal with them. It is then up to a mod to decide if it's ban worthy or not.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5984 Times on 5252 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
I'm not touching this with a 200-foot pole.
epic

Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post