New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What do you guys intend to do?

View Poll Results: Will you continue to brew dispite the price increase
Yes of course 187 89.90%
No way 2 0.96%
I might take a temporay hiatus 5 2.40%
What price increase? 14 6.73%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #31
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dont really brew to save money, I think most hobbies are not cost effective in the long run.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #32
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off, it's a hobby. All hobbies have sunk costs, one time costs, depreciation of equipment, etc., and most importantly YOUR TIME!

That one comment about $5/hour was just too damn funny. I make $40/hour. Should I use that price when estimating how much my beer costs me to brew? I seriously doubt it!

Any way, none of these costs should be factored into pricing your end products. What should be are just the ingredients.

If you are paying higher prices for your supplies it's only because you are not buying bulk. I buy my DME in 55# boxes at $140 (2.55/lb). The LHBS sells 3# bags for $12-14 (I really don't know because I dont purchase them, but I'm sure I'm in the ballpark...). That's a minimum of $4./lb. Using 5-6 lb per batch would cost $24-28, plus yeast and hops. In bulk that $15.30. I buy hops in bulk (not being a hop head also saves $$$ on needing to use extra ounces of hops in a batch) and I wash my yeast (a $7 vial used 7 times brings the per use cost down to $1, but I use mine more than that).

So, 15.30 + hops @ .75/oz + 1 for yeast = $17.05. That's still under $20 a batch...I also top up to 5.25 gal which results in having over 5 gals left at bottling time.

Most of the time I get about 37 - 0,5 liter bottles, a time or two I have gotten 40.

Let's look at the math:

Local beer place: 37 * 2.50 = 92.50 - 20 = $72.50 savings...IF they sold what I made/liked/wanted.

Bar/restaurant" 37 * 5 = 185 - 20 = $165.00 savings...IF they sold what I like to drink.

But, hobbies aren't about $$$, although this post could lean on that way. It's about abilities/skills/knowledge and PRIDE in making a product that is very enjoyable to consume and share with others.

Then again, if you can drink the stuff they've convinced you are great beer then by all means this hobby may not for you, but I think you are looking at it at the wrong angle.

No matter how high the prices of supplies go up it'll always be cheaper to DIY versus drinking megaswill.

Brew away...

Old 11-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #33
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My brews cost about 13 cents per 12 oz. serving, but I have not factored in the capital investment in equipment (I'm afraid to do that). If I did, I think they would be in the $10 a bottle range.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #34
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
My brews cost about 13 cents per 12 oz. serving, but I have not factored in the capital investment in equipment (I'm afraid to do that). If I did, I think they would be in the $10 a bottle range.
Ed,
I wish I knew your secret. I figure it cost 12 cents a 12 oz. serving just for fuel and water usage.

I don't think Spaden, Imperial and Sam Adams is megaswill I think it's excellent beer. If you feel otherwise then that's OK.

But my off time is precious and valuable to me if your off time has no value to you the that's OK too. I just used the $5/hr as a comparison for people who do place some value on their free time. If the only beer you like is the beer you make then by all means pay what ever they feel like charging you. But the price has gone up whether or not you buy in bulk.

OK it's a hobby. But I for one have many different hobbies and interests.

Some peoples hobby's make money some peoples hobby's cost money.

There again I am just trying to point out to the people that there is a fantastic value in certain commercial beers right now that won't last long.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #35
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see a real price increase, but that's on account of my just getting into this hobby recently and I don't see how much less expensive it may have been in the past. I just accept the current prices as they are. From my perspective, if the prices go down I'm going to be even more excited about homebrewing!

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 11-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #36
bobjenkins79

Recipes 

Damn, I wish I made $40 an hour. I wouldn't know what to do with all that money!!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #37
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Ed, I wish I knew your secret. I figure it cost 12 cents a 12 oz. serving just for fuel and water usage.
Brew all grain, buy in bulk, & propagate your yeast. Here are the costs of my standard brews. I propagate the hefe & koslch yeast and pay retail for the specialty grains for the Haus and retail for the hops for the Kolsch.

My Haus Pale $7.85
My Hefe $6.55
My Koslch $8.42

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 11-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #38
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Just talking to my in-laws today about the grain prices. It's not ALL to do with corn and soybeans. Sure, soybeans are getting up to $10 per bushel, corn is getting to $4.00 a bushel and land prices are getting as high as $6,200 per acre (in Iowa) but the grain shortage has more to do with droughts. That's what rose the price of grain - simply not enough supply due to weather. Now it's true that a lot of people are growing corn, but I wouldn't worry about the grain prices. They'll probably go down if weather is better next year.

So sayeth my inlaws, who are 3rd generation to farm the same land.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #39
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks Cheese that's great news.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #40
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Ed,
I wish I knew your secret. I figure it cost 12 cents a 12 oz. serving just for fuel and water usage.

I don't think Spaden, Imperial and Sam Adams is megaswill I think it's excellent beer. If you feel otherwise then that's OK.

But my off time is precious and valuable to me if your off time has no value to you the that's OK too. I just used the $5/hr as a comparison for people who do place some value on their free time. If the only beer you like is the beer you make then by all means pay what ever they feel like charging you. But the price has gone up whether or not you buy in bulk.

OK it's a hobby. But I for one have many different hobbies and interests.

Some peoples hobby's make money some peoples hobby's cost money.

There again I am just trying to point out to the people that there is a fantastic value in certain commercial beers right now that won't last long.
If I placed a value on my time this board would owe me enough cash to pay for all my 2008 brews

Quick Reply