Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What do you guys intend to do?
View Poll Results: Will you continue to brew dispite the price increase
Yes of course 187 89.90%
No way 2 0.96%
I might take a temporay hiatus 5 2.40%
What price increase? 14 6.73%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #21
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm still under $0.50 a beer. Why should I trade that for $2.50 per beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #22
IndyPABrewGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
I keep hoping that someone in Washington will come to grips with reality and realize that using 7 barrels of oil to get 8 barrels of ethanol and using 1700 gal. of water the get 1 single gal. of ethanol is a poor use of scarce resources. From what I understand there is starting to be a pushback against these centrally planned govt. mandates.

But I'm probably just as alone in that thinking as well.
You're not alone. Until there is better technology available for ethanol production from corn (better methods do exist, but using other crops) that makes it economically viable, this country driving around on corn is a pipe dream. This is another argument for another thread, and one that's probably not on this forum. I appologize ahead of time for opening a can of worms with this post.

Back to beer. Its just the capitalist in you seeing your costs increase. But (IMHO), what that same capitalist inside you SHOULD be saying instead of "stop brewing" is "how can I brew more economically?". There's plenty of good suggestions in this thread alone (bulk buying, group buying). If you run your home brewery like a business, your thought process may be to start outsourcing your homebrewing (commercial brews). But if it truly is a hobby that you enjoy, then the time you put into it is priceless, not 5$/hr. Hell, you're not even paying yourself minimum wage.

Personally, I've been brewing for about 8 months now, just getting into PM brewing. When I was an extract brewer, I was paying roughly$40 to $45 per batch, and getting an output just under two cases. $22.50 a case. I can buy a case of Bell's/Victory/Troegs for $3-$5 dollars more a case, and have no time in it. But, to echo the majority's point here, I enjoy what I do too much, and with a move more toward larger grain bills using a PM technique and eventually a move to AG, I should be able to bring that down to $25/batch. I can't get a case of Schlitz for $13.50 (I might be able to, I don't price Schlitz very often).

The long and short of it is, I will continue to brew and strive to keep my costs down. Like any good capitalist brewery.

Cheers,

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Ultimate Table Beer
Bottled: The Mothman Barley Wine, Hwart's Bitter
Drinking: Water
On Deck: ???

Old 11-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #23
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Once I factor in equipment, my homebrew is much more expensive than commercial microbrew, which run $1.20-$2/bottle around here. [Got to love the three-tier system] Since the more I brew, the lower the capital cost per batch ...

I'm stocked for hops, even had some decent yields on homegrown this year. Grain isn't a big deal and I rarely use liquid yeasts. As hobbies go, brewing is one heck of a lot cheaper than owning an RV and I can enjoy the results every day.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I didn't get into this hobby as a way to save money and while the price increases have affected my wallet somewhat, it's not really as bad as all that.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 11-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #25
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I'm making some adjustments.

Just signed up with a local guy who coordinates bulk grain deliveries (about $30 a sack...delivered). I'm picking up two sacks Monday night.

Leaning toward some mild browns, wits, belgian blondes and other lower hopped brews.

Continue to do 10-gallon batches.

Pimping myself out to the ladies at local retirement centers.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #26
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher

Pimping myself out to the ladies at local retirement centers.
LOL how much does that pay these days? I know a guy that does that but he calls it selling insurance.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #27
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dragon
I did do the math

No offense intended if you took it that way.

Anywho- have a great turkey day- my favorite holiday of the year!
No offense perceived sorry if I made it seem so. It's often difficult to communicate on forums like this and my style of writing is terse at best.

I was just trying to point out that my calculation shows a %50 increase in the cost of brewing.

And while I spent $8 for a Sam Smith last week at a resturant. I become indignant when I perceive that I'm being taken advantage of. Plus I wanted to point out that these deals on commercial beer aren't going to last.

Have a great one yourself!

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #28
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There are very few 'cool' microbrews available here in Lincoln, and what you do find is well over $1.00 per bottle.

hell I pay almost $8 for a 6-pack of Blvd. Wheat anywhere in town.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #29
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I enjoy brewing. I like brewing the batches I won't drink myself. The price of commercial brews are irrelevant to that.

All the "increases" mean are that my batches cost a few bucks more (and provide more encouragement to buy in bulk). If shortages didn't, inflation would have.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #30
hocus-pocus-by-focus
Recipes 

The price of oil, gold, corn, hops, grain, groceries aren't going up. The value of a dollar is going down. That way the tremedous amout of money the US Goverment owe's in debt goes down. Your salary goes up and thereby the amount of tax dollars you pay goes up but the past debt remains the same. And as long as they can fool most everyone into thinking inflation is tame it basically an end around the debt.

When I can buy good imported German beer for less than $0.90 a bottle I intend to take advantage of the situation it surely won't last long.

I keep on brewing until I run out of grain then watch the situation. Meanwhile I'll be stocking up on good commercial brews that are currently at bargain basement prices.

Quick Reply