Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What do you guys intend to do?
View Poll Results: Will you continue to brew dispite the price increase
Yes of course 187 89.90%
No way 2 0.96%
I might take a temporay hiatus 5 2.40%
What price increase? 14 6.73%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
abracadabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default What do you guys intend to do?

I am astounded by the recent rise in the price of grain and hops although not terribly surprised. I haven't even priced LP gas recently but can make a pretty acurate guess based on the price of gasoline.

And I am thinking I will just stop brewing (at least for a while). I can get Sam Adams Octoberfest, Imperial from Costa Rica, and Spaten Octoberfest and Optimator all for $10.49 a 12 pack. Or about $0.87 a 12 oz. bottle.

Right now it looks to me like the cost of both time and money just aren't worth it.
I know it's a hobby but DAMN. Buy my calculations I'm thinking it actually cost more to brew myself then buy from a commercial brewery, if all the costs are considered and my time is valued at $5/hr. Which I can do things around the house that would cost me a hell of a lot more than $5/hr. to pay someone to do for me. The cost comes to about $0.89 a 12 oz. bottle

My question is do you guys intend to keep right on brewing paying these prices?

Am I the only one out here who thinks this is nuts I'm not going to pay these prices?

I know people new to the hobby don't know any difference so I suspect the number of people getting beer kits will remain about the same as any other holiday season.

I know at some point the price of grain and hops are going to push commercial prices up too. Or the price of grain and hops may come back down (but I'm not going to hold my breath).

So I'll just take a wait and see attitude and drink my commercial brew for a while.
Anybody else feel this way or am I in this boat alone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Non BMC commercial beers have been expected to go up in price. Many have speculated as much as $3/6er.

I'm going to keep brewing. Prices be damned.

Edit: BTW commercial beers will always be more expensive then Homebrews, if you don't factor in your time.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I am planning on buying in bulk, should help to keep the prices reasonable. If there are anyother brewers in your area you could see about putting big bulk orders together to try to save everyone some money. I am going to try to organize a bulk grain purchase (1000 lb's or better) for my homebrew club.

Cheers

Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nothing changing at Bee Cave Brewery. I'm stocked for the duration. Over 400# of various base malts (2 row Pale, Pils, Wheat, Vienna, & Flaked Barley), plus loads of hops that I use.

Business as usual.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They're gonna have to go up a whole lot more to keep me from brewing. Even if my brew cost as much as commercial craftbeer at the end of the day, I'd still brew because I love it.

Plus, I bought 110 lbs of grain and 6 lbs of hops before any increases really hit. So, between my 9 lbs of hops and 130+ lbs of grain, I think I'm set for awhile even if prices go crazy.

oh, by the way, if the grain price increases piss you off, then do yourself a favor and vote for Ron Paul. He's the only candidate the I know of that opposes the farm bill and all the stupid-ass ethanol subsidies that are in turn driving up the price of grain.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will continue brewing as normal.

For me, brewing is not just about the finished product (although it is an important factor). I can easily buy a sixer of any style I want, sometimes cheaper than I can make it and sometimes it is better than I can make it. That is not why I brew though. I like the history, science and sense of pride/ownership I get from making it myself.

Until the grain and hop prices get astronomical, like over $75 for an AG batch of Pale Ale, I am all in.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Price be damned. I brew because I enjoy brewing and prefer the control over finished product. As stated before...the prices would have to get ridiculously expensive to get me to stop.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

I don't buy in bulk (no mill) but I think it's still an affordable hobby. There are very few drinkable commercial beers available in my area, so if I want good beer I have to make it, or drive to Green Bay (150 miles) to go to Woodman's.

I know many people who will still drive ATVs and snowmobiles with the price of gas way up. Like me, they'll just economize in other areas. I don't smoke, go out to eat, go to movies, have a cell phone, etc. so I figure I deserve a little splurging. My splurge is brewing and winemaking.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Once I started homebrewing I quickly realized it wasn't going to be about saving money. Even if I get a great deal on ingredients, I am always going to be upgrading and buying more equipment.

To me, brewing is about the process and the end result. Nothing more satisfying than opening a bottle of homebrew and saying "I made this, and damn it's good."

Homebrewing is my only hobby, and I intend to keep on enjoying it.

Woops: I didn't read the question right and accidentally voted no way.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
newguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll keep brewing. I'm just as much in love with the process of making HB as I am drinking it. In fact I've been brewing a little more than a year and I'm finding myself not even that attracted to commercial beers that much anymore. Even ones that I really liked before I started HBing.

I guess price is subjective. I mean if it's a hobbie and you enjoy it, then what price are you willing to pay to enjoy yourself?

I never started HB'ing to save money on beer. I'm a craftsman. I like to craft things. So if my beer is a bit more expensive than commercial beers in time and $$$ thats fine with me. My beers are way better than anything I like to drink commercially anyways!

I'll brew!!!!!

--I Brew Therefore I am...-

In the Works: Common room ESB--(AG) Belgian Wit---(EXT)

Meadery: Grape apple mesquite cyser

On Tap: Common Room E.S.B.-----Belgin Wit

Quick Reply