Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What do you guys do when you hit a wall?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 488

If you're still brewing 5 gallon batches, step it up to 10 gallon. If you are an all grain brewer, it's not much more expensive, and it doesn't matter if you don't brew as often as you did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have a lot of drinkers where I'm at. I've started to focus in on the science and other aspects of the hobby. Here are some ideas:
- Join a homebrew club, visit others
- Start working on becoming a certified beer judge
- enter beers in competitions
- read a lot of books
- volunteer at local breweries and festivals
- steward a contest
- try small batch brewing (2L)
- try mashing in a French press
- find a way to give the beer away
- brew with some local non-traditional ingredient

Once I hooked up with a few local people bent on craft beer this hobby became a real time suck, and I love it.

Must not change more than one thing at a time....

Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My second-to-most recent batch was a 10-gallon Belgian split into 4 different fermentations, and two even had their own bottling yeast. All 100 or so bottles came out brilliantly. They are all over 8% ABV and are some of the smoothest beers I've ever made. It was mostly all-grain too (I had to use some sugar).

It's like I achieved my brewing goal and am at peace almost with the hobby.

The one goal I never achieved was making a killer pilsner, but I don't feel like investing in refrigeration.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Well if you still bottle that is enough to make any of us quit!! Time to get into kegging! As I am sure you know it is sooooo much easier and faster than bottling.
I do both now, and it doesn't seem any faster to keg then bottle really. I've got a batch cold crashing that I can't get motivated to put in a keg, because I know I have to clean and sanitize the kegs first, as well as flushing and sanitizing the beer lines. I have to take the kegs down to the basement laundry room of the condo, and hook up a hose to wash them. I have to break the popets down, clean them, sanitize then, and re-lube all the o-rings. Then sanitize an auto spiphon and rack the beer And even THAT doesn't sound too appealing at times. It's a chore whether it's going into a keg or bottles sometimes.

It takes be 45 minutes to bottle, including sanitizing bottles and filling them, it take about the same to prep and fill a keg...how is it any different?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
petep1980

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I do both now, and it doesn't seem any faster to keg then bottle really.
I've found kegging barely any quicker and much less reliable. Dealing with balancing pressure made me quit.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Well if you still bottle that is enough to make any of us quit!! Time to get into kegging!
This is not a solution for everyone! I brew often and now have 18 different beers to choose from. That is a lot of kegs!

I have the opposite with my friends. They like my homebrews. I share some...

Try something very different from what you have been brewing. Or for me, I should do some things that I need to (house maintenance) instead of another batch. Unless I can put it off for another brew!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Try something very different from what you have been brewing.
This helps me get through the humps....It could be falling in love with a new beer style, then coming up with my own recipe. That involves two of my favorite things, trying new beers, AND doing research, especially for historical recipes.

I'm suddenly getting into Kolshes after the Iron Brewer competition I participated in two weekends ago. Where my teammate and I decided that making a Honey Kolsh would be the best way to highlight the secret ingredient which was ground fenugreek (which we mixed with honey and some fresh ginger and caramalized in a dutch oven, like making a bochet.) Kolsh was never a style I drank much of, now I'm curious about them and picking up what scant few commercial brands I can.

SO that's got me interested again.

Look at a style you've never done, and push yourself to research and brew it.

Another thing is to do something hobby related but not brewing related, that would make you then want to test it by brewing, i.e. Make a new brewing gadget or tool. Do you batch sparge? Make a sparge arm and try fly sparging for one....Do you always mash in a cooler? Try BIAB for a batch, see how it works for your. Haven't extract brewed in awhile? Challenge youself to make a great extract with grains recipe using all those great tips you've learned since that first cooper's kit....Never done AG before? give it a try.

Never played with water chemistry try it now.....

Do you always brew kits? Try creating your first unique recipe yourself.

Just try to change something up and see if it sparks it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewing beer is only part of the hobby for me, but not for everybody. My dad likes to brew a few times a year an have at least one beer on tap. He is not so concerned about the rest of the details. Just enjoys the hobby a bit differently than I do.

He's also not so keen on cleaning carboys.....

Must not change more than one thing at a time....

Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #29
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Try decoction mashing Lager and Pils. If that doesn't knock out brewing boredom, nothing will.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #30
petep1980

Recipes 

I've done double and triple decoctions. I've decided I just don't have the time.

Quick Reply