Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What do you guys do with extra beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
SkinnyShamrock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What do you guys do with extra beer?

I understand that saying "extra beer" may sound quite silly. Most will say "Drink it, stupid!" But I'm thinking: 1 week to ferment, 2 weeks in the secondary, then minimum 2 weeks (usually 3) in the bottles. THEN you have to drink 2 cases worth of beer. I'm the only member of my household that drinks beer regularly. If I personally drank 2 a day, then I could down 2 cases in under a month, but I'd put on more than a few pounds doing that, and I occasionally like to drink something other than beer (gasp!) after a day at work, or I go out with friends and have store-bought stuff.

Taking into account that I don't need the bottles until three weeks after the boil, that's three weeks before I have 48 empty bottles again and I can start brewing another batch. Not taking into account lagers that need to condition for months on end.

Do you guys just buy more bottles (or kegs) and just keep stockpiling, do you not brew at very frequent intervals, or do you give a lot away to friends, family, etc?

Or maybe I just have a distorted view of how often you guys brew?

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyShamrock View Post
I understand that saying "extra beer" may sound quite silly. Most will say "Drink it, stupid!" But I'm thinking: 1 week to ferment, 2 weeks in the secondary, then minimum 2 weeks (usually 3) in the bottles. THEN you have to drink 2 cases worth of beer. I'm the only member of my household that drinks beer regularly. If I personally drank 2 a day, then I could down 2 cases in under a month, but I'd put on more than a few pounds doing that, and I occasionally like to drink something other than beer (gasp!) after a day at work, or I go out with friends and have store-bought stuff.

Taking into account that I don't need the bottles until three weeks after the boil, that's three weeks before I have 48 empty bottles again and I can start brewing another batch. Not taking into account lagers that need to condition for months on end.

Do you guys just buy more bottles (or kegs) and just keep stockpiling, do you not brew at very frequent intervals, or do you give a lot away to friends, family, etc?

Or maybe I just have a distorted view of how often you guys brew?
I just have a truly massive backstock of bottles in addition to my 6 kegs and 8 carboys. I brew a lot, but always have a place for it. You need to either get more bottles, get into kegging, get more carboys, or all of the above. Brewing less is not an option.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I live alone, and share some of my beer with friends, and families...But I brew at least once a month and I guess I stockpile. I have four different beers of my own in the fridge right now. And 2 beers in fermenters.

But you'd be suprised how quick 2 cases of good fresh beer goes, especially when you brewed it yourself.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I just have a truly massive backstock of bottles in addition to my 6 kegs and 8 carboys. I brew a lot, but always have a place for it. You need to either get more bottles, get into kegging, get more carboys, or all of the above. Brewing less is not an option.
+1 for emphasis.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't know how anyone finds the time to build up a backstock. I drink quite a bit I suppose (bier ist brot) but not that crazy and I go through a lot of beer. I brew 10g about once every month and a half. It would be more but money is tight right now so that is all I can afford.

Don't buy your bottles, just save the bottles whenever you have store bought. If you have returnable bottles in your area (we drink point special returnables in my neck of the woods) you can buy cases of empty returnables for $2 and you get a nice study cardboard box to boot. Keep brewing as fast as you can, you won't be sorry!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a backstock, because with my schedule I can brew a massive amount in a week or two, then I won't be able to brew for a month or more. +1 on having lots of bottles/kegs/carboys so you can condition your beers propperly while being able to drink a small assortment.

I currently have capacity for 4 batches in bottles as well as 8 kegs. this way I can have bottles from a batch or two for extended conditioning, a batch or two bottled in the fridge of the occasional high alcohol sipper, 3 lighter every day drinkers or session beers on tap, and 4 kegs conditioning.

I am still looking for more bottles though....

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everyone I've given my beer to has claimed they enjoyed it, so I give it away. For some reason, I only enjoy drinking my Belgian beers, since I'm too critical of my own product to drink a lot of it. Weird, yes, but I guess I prefer the process. Whenever I make something that I actually do enjoy, I usually just hold onto it and try not to drink all of it. From that stockpile, I usually only have one to three a month.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

You are in the same predicament I am in. I want to brew more, but I'm starting to build up a stash! Once I go AG, it will only get worse, as I'll be buying more bulk items and it will be cheaper. I always keep an eye out for someone who would like to drink my beer, and offer them some. Eventually, you will find people to drink your beer for you.

I've got three batches old enough to drink now, and I have my pick of 3 different beers. It's nice for the variety. American Pale Ale, Brown Ale, and Belgian Wit. They turned out so good that I often choose them over store bought, and I thought I'd never get there. Now to get my friends into good beer.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I mostly keg, and I brew faster than I can drink it. I usually have 3 or 4 full carboys sitting around waiting for a tap to open up.

I do still have more than 10 cases of bottles sitting around from brews over the last year. We have people over fairly often so I have some help in taking care of the task of drinking it all.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Farmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

Make bread, boil bratwurst, water the plant, wash the dog, use as aftershave...

The possibilities are endless.

Quick Reply