Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to do with a Sanke keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 671

OK, here's an update. It turns out, it's a European Sanke keg from Scottish & Newcastle. Last night, I tried (unsuccessfully) to take the spear out. I was able to vent the pressure, getting a nice face full of stale, 4-year old Beamish Stout (at least it was cold!).

However, I was unable to get the spear to rotate and begin unscrewing. There is no retaining ring (as in North American Sanke kegs). Instead, it's a thread-in spear, with 2 metal tabs at the top. I took a screwdriver and hammered at the tabs for 30 minutes, trying to get it to turn, but it's seized frozen solid. I tried pouring some hot water over the top in the hopes that some expansion/contraction might break things loose, but no luck.

So my next plan is to simply take this to a local brewery and see if they want it. Maybe they'll exchange it for a North American Sanke keg (heck, I'd even take a Corny).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Try taking a largish pair of channel locks (pliers), opening them up so that they'll catch on the tabs, have someone hold the keg (or lock it in place) and try turning it. Chances are they just put the valves/spears in REALLY good. Like with an air powered tool. You just need to get enough leverage against it to get it to turn.

Or just ship the mother to me and let me deal with it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #23
johngault007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You can always cut it open with a hand saw and modify it for your needs that way. I use mine as a HLT so I cut a big hole in the top and use a spare SS lid I had lying around from another pot (when needed).

Kegged: Concussion Red
Upcoming Brews:Moneypenny IPA, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (w/cherry)

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
OK, here's an update. It turns out, it's a European Sanke keg from Scottish & Newcastle. Last night, I tried (unsuccessfully) to take the spear out. I was able to vent the pressure, getting a nice face full of stale, 4-year old Beamish Stout (at least it was cold!).

However, I was unable to get the spear to rotate and begin unscrewing. There is no retaining ring (as in North American Sanke kegs). Instead, it's a thread-in spear, with 2 metal tabs at the top. I took a screwdriver and hammered at the tabs for 30 minutes, trying to get it to turn, but it's seized frozen solid. I tried pouring some hot water over the top in the hopes that some expansion/contraction might break things loose, but no luck.

So my next plan is to simply take this to a local brewery and see if they want it. Maybe they'll exchange it for a North American Sanke keg (heck, I'd even take a Corny).
Do u have a propane torch? Would work better than the water. I just converted one of the euro kegs last month. Was a bitch to get the spear out.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #25
GoodRatsBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you need to go to the next level and build a reflux column as the keg would be a super boiler...

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #26
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRatsBrew View Post
I think you need to go to the next level and build a reflux column as the keg would be a super boiler...
If I'm reading you right, and you're in the US, or Canada (I believe) that's not legal... It's that "D" word that causes so many issues in these parts.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply