Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to do with a Sanke keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default What to do with a Sanke keg?

So my wife was visiting a former co-worker and mentioned that I do homebrew. It turns out her husband had a 15 gallon Sanke keg that was in the house when they bought it 4 years ago, and it's just been sitting in their shed. So they gave it to me! Woo hoo, free keg!

Now, my problem is, "What do I do with it?" I already have a pretty sweet stainless steel 15 gallon boil kettle w/ ball valve and thermometer. I'm using a converted 48 quart camping cooler for my mash tun. I have 5 Corny kegs, so I could use another keg, but I brew 5 gallon batches, so the Sanke would be 2/3 empty.

I'm thinking I could use it as my HLT. I'm currently using the 7.5 gallon aluminum pot that came with my turkey fryer kit as my HLT. However, that would mean cutting into the keg - an irreversible step. So if that's what I decide to do, there's no turning back.

Before I put my keg under the rotary tool, I figured I'd put it to the helpful crowd at HBT and ask, "What would YOU do with this keg in my situation?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
sloose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

its junk. send it to me, i will dispose of it properly. =P

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

You could pull the spear and ferment 10 gallon batches in it- no cutting necessary!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

@daksin: I like where your head's at. What would you use for an airlock? How would you vent the CO2 from fermentation?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

I did a ten gallon batch in a sanke not long ago. I used a orange carboy cap and soaked in warm water to get it to fit the keg. I didn't perge the dead space with co2 with no problems. The orange carboy cap was awesome cuz I put a blow off tube on it and then fitted an airlock once the fermentation died down with no problems. I was in your same situation and didn't want to cut up the keg or spend lots on the nice tri-clover setup for fermenting. So I'm just going to keep it around for 10 gallon batches.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just stretch an orange carboy cap over the neck of the sanke, treat just like a normal fermentation from there. I did it this way for years with no issues.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

BAH! If you are going to ferment in a sanke do this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/clos...chnique-44344/

Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Use it as either your boil keggle or convert it into a mash tun. I have one of each (actually on my second BK since I sold my first). If you're not going to be able to mostly fill it for fermenting in that is.

I'm making my own fermentation caps for use with sanke kegs. Working on a design that has both gas and liquid ball lock posts on it, plus a thermowell. Slide a dip tube down under the liquid post and extract away. I'll be posting up on that in the DIY section once I get a new vise for the drill press (need it to properly hold what I'm working on).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I vote mash tun. My HLT, MLT and Kettle are all converted sanke kegs. It takes a little work but it is so worth it, especially if you are doing more than 5 gallons.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

NorCal/Jaybird false bottoms for the win too... Got mine from them. Went with the full size, hinged, with handle, and hole in it from the start (in the mash tun). Works great and he's a member of HBT. Great customer support/service too.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply