Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to do with Infected Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Morkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What to do with Infected Beer

So I"ve been lazy and never bottled an infected batch of beer. I have not tasted it either, for fear my instruments would be infected for other batches, so I just left it alone.

Awhile back, someone hinted that I could give it some bacteria and turn it into a lambic or perhaps a sour beer. It was orginially a Blonde Ale before it was infected.

Is this a possibility, and if so, how would I go about doing this? Any thoughts would help, thanks.

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You'd have to taste it first. You have no idea at this point of what the infection might have done to it. Adding bacteria to a beer that tastes like vomit will only give you sour vomit.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

I had my first infection about two weeks ago, and I pitched the beer into the compost. Hey, if it tastes great, bottle it up and enjoy it. Mine did NOT taste good, and life is too short to drink bad beer.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you haven't tasted it, then how do you know it's infected?????

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you haven't tasted it, then how do you know it's infected?????
I was wondering the same thing. If it was mold on the top of the beer, as long as you turn it over relatively quickly (ie, don't age it for years), you won't have any problems.

While mold isn't something you really want, it usually doesn't affect the flavor. We usually describe an infection as an organism, such as lactobacillus, acetobacter, pediococcus or wild yeast, which negatively affect the flavor of your beer, or change the desired taste of the beer.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Kill slugs.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I was wondering the same thing. If it was mold on the top of the beer, as long as you turn it over relatively quickly (ie, don't age it for years), you won't have any problems.

While mold isn't something you really want, it usually doesn't affect the flavor. We usually describe an infection as an organism, such as lactobacillus, acetobacter, pediococcus or wild yeast, which negatively affect the flavor of your beer, or change the desired taste of the beer.
Many of us have had mold develop on the surface and the beer was fine, we just rack from below.

Edcculus is right, mold is not an infection....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Morkin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ughhh.

Not the reaction I wanted. Guys, I assure you it is an infection. As was discovered in another Post. Here are my pictures, I know that it is an infection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinalf/3964276022/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinalf/3963500757/

Nowthen, I just wanted to know if I could salvage it by making it into a sour beer.

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Rushis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice colonies in those pics. A little overgrown for microbiology purposes, but still nice work. Wish my lab work would behave that well.

Taste the beer. Until you know how good or "bad" the beer tastes no one can give you advice on what to do with it. I doubt your going to plate those bacteria colonies and submit them for lab analysis, so the only way you can find out if it's good or bad infection is to taste it.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

It looks like a pellicle, but it's hard to tell. If you like sour beers, you'll probably like it. If it tastes good, and it's not fermenting any more (you'd have to take sucessive SG readings to ensure it's done, since often an infected beer will ferment lower than a regular fermentation), you can bottle it and drink it.

I don't like sours, but I didn't have a pellicle. I had a definite lacto infection- cloudy and sour with a definite lacto taste. I threw it out. But if you like the taste of yours, why not bottle it up and try it?

Quick Reply