Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What dimensions should a closet for a chest freezer be?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
wadewegner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What dimensions should a closet for a chest freezer be?

Hi all,

We're getting our basement finished, and I'm having the builders build out a closet that will be large enough to put in a chest freezer (much like the Haier HCM071LC 7.1 Cu Ft Chest Freezer) that I'll convert for kegs. I need to get them the exact dimensions for the closet but I don't want to design it specifically for one chest freezer.

Any idea as to the general size I should give the builder so that, even if I get a different chest freezer, I should have enough room?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

I wouldn't put a freezer in a closet. It puts out some heat to keep cold & needs the air circulation.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
AdamPag
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Atleast 3 dimensions... Unless of course you're trying to force it to accelerate through time unnaturally, in which case you're likely to need a 4th and 5th dimension

Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
wadewegner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I wouldn't put a freezer in a closet. It puts out some heat to keep cold & needs the air circulation.
Appreciate the feedback and it's a good point you make. The design from the builder takes this into consideration. I'm simply looking for some advice regarding the dimensions. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
wadewegner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPag View Post
Atleast 3 dimensions... Unless of course you're trying to force it to accelerate through time unnaturally, in which case you're likely to need a 4th and 5th dimension
Funny! I'm actually going with the first definition listed here. I hope this clarifies.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
wadewegner
Recipes 

I've decided to go with 40"W x 60"H (just to ensure there's enough room to open without obstruction) x 30"D. Seems sufficient. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I really doubt 40" wide is sufficient. I'm fairly certain my Holiday 7.0 (same as yours) required at least several inches (3+ on each side). Check the manual for the freezer to be sure. I wouldn't go with anything less than the manufacturer recommends.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
wadewegner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
I really doubt 40" wide is sufficient. I'm fairly certain my Holiday 7.0 (same as yours) required at least several inches (3+ on each side). Check the manual for the freezer to be sure. I wouldn't go with anything less than the manufacturer recommends.
You are spot on. I just looked up the clearances required for the model and found that it's 4" on the sides, top, and back. Looks like I'll need to go with at least: 45"W x 60"H x 30"D.

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply