What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 50' SS immersion chiller I finally talked myself into ordering arrived today. Just in time to brew this weekend! I can't wait to shave 2 hours off my ice-bath cooling time and see how it impacts my brews! Hopefully positively!

Nightcap
v5a445.jpg

IMG_0151.jpeg

I thought Christmas was December 25?
Northern Brewer, AIH and Morebeer all showed up on the same day I don't usually get kits but the deals I got were so good why not and I finally got a mill
AIH - Cereal Killer grain mill used my points got it 26.99 to my front door w/13% off deal
Northern Brewer 31.99 Brute IPA to my front door (I want to try one)
Morebeer - Falconers Flight single hop series, Honey Porter, Sculpin Clone, American Brown Ale, 1 lb munich and 1 oz Delta for 66.52 to my front door (not a typo)
other than ripping a 5lb bag of 2 row cutting the tape on 1 of the 4 boxes it was a good day and the best $125 I think I ever spent
Note : to anyone ordering a Brute IPA the enzymes need to be refrigerated Northern did include an ice pack(no charge) but shipping was by turtle it seems, however I know if it does not work out they will replace the kit no charge so I am not worried

@PianoMan selection of homebrew dropped off yesterday from the FotHB trades we have going on. If you brew your own beer you should be part of the FotHB group! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/sampling-and-critiquing-and-beer-swapping.38/

ps: I re-used those foodsaver bags for my shipment, thanks!

View attachment 595791

View attachment 595792
I second that. Many of these HB beers are top notch. MUCH cheeper then the retail trades also. Speaking of retail...@TheDudeLebowski dropped a wonderful surprise on me!
20181102_152156_Burst01.jpeg

All of the parts for my trash can portable kegerator, including beautiful Intertap flow control faucets!

Crisp Best Ale Malts
Crisp Roasted Barley
Crisp Chocolate Malt
Simpsons Red Rye Crystal
Oat Husks
Flaked Wheat
Leaf hops:
-northdown
-ekg
-bramling cross
-target

Silica gel finings
Hop socks

I'll receive another order tonight, there should be new pH meter, calibration solutions, Wyeast Irish ale yeast 1084 + some small things.

Planning to brew three times in November to get some fresh beer for Christmas and New Year. An Irish red ale, ESB and later the third brew that will be either Weißbier, light bitter or a porter.

IMG_20181105_191506681.jpg

Yet another keg. Parts for my 2 keg chilly bin (taps, sodastream adapter and mini regulator) shock needs to be operational by December.

Riwaka, mosaic and simcoe for an IPA.

I scored 3 pinlock kegs from the gas station near my house for $40. The guy had about twenty just sitting in the parking lot that he was using as a sort of barricade. I asked him if I could buy 2 for $40, and he threw a 3rd in for free.
I can't believe you didn't ask him how much he wanted for all of them!

I can't believe you didn't ask him how much he wanted for all of them!
The thought crossed my mind ;) I also thought (briefly) about just loading them into the back of my 4runner. But then I felt a little guilty when the guy told me he gets $10 back from the beverage distributor. Plus I've seen them sit on FB Marketplace and craigslist for $25-40 dollars per for months in my area, so my grand idea of flipping them went down the tubes, too

The thought crossed my mind ;) I also thought (briefly) about just loading them into the back of my 4runner. But then I felt a little guilty when the guy told me he gets $10 back from the beverage distributor. Plus I've seen them sit on FB Marketplace and craigslist for $25-40 dollars per for months in my area, so my grand idea of flipping them went down the tubes, too
Every keg in my area gets snapped up as soon at it is listed, at any price. Maybe I need to consider relocating to SC...

SS Brewtech 7.5 gallon brewbucket BME! Stainless steel, and I get to sample for gravity readings (and flavor, of course!) without having to crack open my 5 gallon plastics!

1/3 orders came in yesterday. A carb stone/lid for corny keg. I LOVE IT. Aside from carbonating a keg of beer in a day there seems to be something silky smooth about the mouthfeel of the beer. maybe I just made a badass beer. not sure but its good. parts for floating dip tube assembly and beer ingredients coming.

Won a free brew bag and pvc gloves from a competition. Anybody use a biab bag for dry hopping? My rig doesn't require a bag so I am trying to be creative with uses for it.

Won a free brew bag and pvc gloves from a competition. Anybody use a biab bag for dry hopping? My rig doesn't require a bag so I am trying to be creative with uses for it.
You could use it as intended when you're short on time but still want to brew. Unless you have a false bottom in your BK, you won't want the bag in there during the boil.

You could use it as intended when you're short on time but still want to brew. Unless you have a false bottom in your BK, you won't want the bag in there during the boil.

I use a biab system with an ss basket I was thinking more of weighting the bag with a few washers and throwing my 4oz dry hop in it in the fv. I just don’t know if the bags meant for grain are compatible with hops. The site says you can use it for hops as well but I’m wondering if it would be more of a pain and I should just chuck the hop pellets in loose.

I use a biab system with an ss basket I was thinking more of weighting the bag with a few washers and throwing my 4oz dry hop in it in the fv. I just don’t know if the bags meant for grain are compatible with hops. The site says you can use it for hops as well but I’m wondering if it would be more of a pain and I should just chuck the hop pellets in loose.
Gotcha. I use a hop sack from wilserbrew, pretty sure he's making them from the same fabric. Should be fine.

No reason you cannot use the bag for that purpose. Perhaps a "hop sack" is finer mesh? Either way, I am sure it'll help remove particles. I use my BIAB as a filter as well depending on the situation, and it catches a LOT of the particles I would have otherwise moved to the bottling bucket.

Supposedly Lot B but didn’t make the cut. Is that the one you have?
A distiller in the area was doing a tasting with a Weller. They made it out to be pretty special so I googled it. What I have is Van Winkle lot B. couldn't bring myself to open it, even though its not a Pappy Van Winkle

A distiller in the area was doing a tasting with a Weller. They made it out to be pretty special so I googled it. What I have is Van Winkle lot B. couldn't bring myself to open it, even though its not a Pappy Van Winkle

It’s a good bottle! Bourbon is made to drink. Crack it and enjoy it with family and friends.

I have used them for hops, blueberries and strawberries in the fermentor. If I am planning on harvesting the yeast or want to minimize trub for any reason, I will line my fermenting bucket with a brew bag, dump in the wort, and pull out the bag to filter out all the boil hops and cold break.

436655beddaf031bb7.jpg

Hohoo look what came in the mail today! Didn`t even have to pay import on it as it slipped through customs :D
436655beddaf106934.jpg

It was fitted with these side hooks to hang dry but they were too wide for my boiling pot and upon closer inspection welded on so poorly and only from the topside that they could never have been able to hold a full load of wet grain.

436655beddaf127c7f.jpg

In fact they didn`t put up much of a fight at all, got my big longnose pliers and gave em a twist, both snapped clean off without me changing faces once.

436655beddaf14d062.jpg

If there are perfect things out there I`d call this a perfect fit to my existing rig!

Back