Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is the big deal about Belgian Beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
BertusBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What is the big deal about Belgian Beers?

I have yet to have a Belgian that I really enjoyed. It seems like everybody on here and most of my beer drinking friends rave about Belgian ales. I know everybody has their own personal tastes and opinions, but it seems like I am totally in the minority among real beer drinkers with my opinion of Belgians.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertusBrew View Post
I have yet to have a Belgian that I really enjoyed. It seems like everybody on here and most of my beer drinking friends rave about Belgian ales. I know everybody has their own personal tastes and opinions, but it seems like I am totally in the minority among real beer drinkers with my opinion of Belgians.
You are not alone.

I can count the number of belgian beers I have tried and liked on one hand, and I don't even need most of my fingers.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

"Belgian beers" is such a huge and diverse category. That's like saying "What's the deal with American beers?" If you haven't had any you liked, you haven't tried enough of them.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
gomb
Recipes 

Its kinda the same thing as all the ipa hype. I absolutely hate ipas, but alot of people like them so I chalk it up to alot of people have different tastes. That and there are many different flavors of Belgian beers, allowing for a broader fan base.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't claim to know all that much about Belgian beers, but people keep talking about Dubbels, Tripels, Belgian Golden Strong Ales, and others. I have tried a bunch of them and just don't like them.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
"Belgian beers" is such a huge and diverse category. That's like saying "What's the deal with American beers?" If you haven't had any you liked, you haven't tried enough of them.
I completely agree with this. Great way to put it. I am sure if you found your niche in each category you would find some you like. I'm not a huge fan of Belgians, but I do know there are some fantastic ones out there.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I generally don't enjoy that "belgian twang" that a lot of the ones I've tried seem to have, but I have had a few decent ones. I tried a Tripel IPA a few weeks ago that was incredible. For those that like them, what are some commercial ones commonly available that you would suggest, for people like me and the OP?

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am sure there are some out there that I would like, because I obviously have not tried them all, but what I really am wondering is why it seems people put these beers up on a pedestal.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
I've tried quite a wide range of Belgian beers.

I do not like the flavors of brett, lacto, or wild yeast for sure.

And I've yet to have a Trappist/Abbey ale or a Wit or a Golden Ale or a Saison that I liked.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
electrichead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

As you said, personal taste is what its all about. People develop tastes for certain styles and those tastes will tend to change and evolve.

For instance, my SWMBO was a huge fan of Belgians and hated overly hoppy beer styles. However in this past year, she has moved away from her beloved Belgians and is gravitating to IPAs. In fact, the other day she had her first pint of my recently brewed Tripel. After a few sips she looked at me and said "I think it's missing something". I replied "Hops?". A look of surprise came across her face and she replied back "Oh my god, I'm a hop head".

She wants me to brew a Stone Ruination IPA clone for my next batch.

What Belgians have you tasted?

Quick Reply