What is the best Homebrew Supply Site

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slc10

Reaction score
Based on a balance of price, customer service, stocked items, timely delivery etc. what is everyone's favorite home brew supply site?

brewmasters warehouse. I can get stuff from them in about three days and their prices are better than most, and still have flat rate. The only bad part is that they don't have a lot of pics for their items. their getting better though.

I'm partial to Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. They seem to have some of the cheapest prices. But then again, I live near the Twin Cities...so I don't really have to worry about shipping.

AHS all the way. I have the privelage of living relatively close to Austin, and I visit "often" - their operation is top notch for sure.

Brewmaster's Warehouse. Great prices, items are usually in stock, fast shipping. Well packaged upon arrival.

BMW. To be fair, I haven't used AHS. NB is good, too, but BMW has been outstanding, replying to emails and answering the phone. I've even gotten unsolicited calls from Ed there. Lovely website, too. I recently asked Ed to add a malt (Briess Cherrywood Smoked) and he did. I'm sold.

Wasn't there just a thread on here yesterday complaining about BMW?

Snarkiness might help some folks discover the search function (no offense to the OP).

Northern Brewer has always been the fastest shipper to me in Pennsylvania, but any of those others mentioned are also great. Both NB and Midwest have really great print catalogs.

I use AHS for most ingredients because they're the closest. $8 for shipping 80lbs of grain in less than 7 days is tough to beat. NB has always taken care of me, and I've been ordering equipment that's not time-sensitive from Rebel Brewer lately and have liked working with them. Keg Connection for kegs and parts.

I don't have a point of reference since Midwest is the only place I've purchased from. But I have been VERY pleased with their prices and products and even more impressed with their service.

I also use Midwest Supply. I just got in about 60lbs of different specialty grains so I could brew today. Of course, being nearby meant that it shipped out Thurday night and was at my door in under 24 hours.

For the ingredients on my latest brew I bought everything online because my LHBS was out of some of the stuff I needed. I priced around a few different websites (AHS, Midwest, NB, etc) and Midwest was about $10 cheaper than any other site for the same stuff (including shipping) and I got a free glass!

I do have a question though for those that have used Midwest in the past, they ship w/ fedex so do they require a signature at delivery? My package is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday but I will be in Chicago for work all week and won't be able to sign for it. My girlfriend will be here but not during the day. Don't want my PacMan yeast to sit unrefrigerated for a week!

I really like morebeer.com. They get their orders out really fast. I've had orders show up next day from them before (granted I live pretty close). All my big grain orders go to brewmasters warehouse or my LHBS though.

With the exception of Hops my LHBS is the same or cheaper for everything I need. I have had great luck with More Beer and Rebel Brewer though.

Although I have not used a lot of the companies mentioned, I have used a couple. And maybe I'm just a wimpy tree huger & all but it is a really big disappointment for me when I open a delivered box and it is stuffed with the styrofoam peanuts. If I decide to reorder from one of the ones who have sent me the styrofoam, I will have to request they not send them & if they insist on using them I may not continue to do business with them (unless they have one heckova deal going!).

Anyone else have this problem? Have you resolved the dilemma

I have never had that problem mule. I have also never heard of someone threatening to quit buying from a company that is protecting the customer's investment as best they can without spending too much on packing materials.

Have you checked if they were biodegradable packing peanuts? If not you can still use them in the bottom of your planters for aeration. That's what my wife has been doing. Or you can recycle them with the rest of the plastic products. If you live in an area that is concerned about the environment that is.

Morebeer, Northern brewer and Midwest have been slow to ship a few of my orders but generally have been good. Midwest sold me a defective regulator but I'm sure they will fix the issue. The best I've dealt with are BMW and Rebel. I love all the malt Rebel stocks, only Midwest comes close to that. AHS is real good as well. It's real hard to go wrong in this hobby. Morebeer and Williams are my favorites because they are closest to me.

All of the suppliers here do a great job for their customers. (at least those I've ordered from so far!) With this level of internet communication, the bad suppliers die off!

afa packing peanuts: I do a lot of shipping out and save/reuse every single peanut. I know it takes up some space, but if you save them up in large garbage bags, folks will buy them! (or your nearest shipping store will take them for free) No waste, no worries.

afa Fed Ex signature required: I receive turbos & parts this way all the time. It's annoying as heck cuz I always miss the delivery but I understand the shippers wanting assurance of delivery. I usually ask in the "special instructions" section of an online order for shipping to not be "signature required". Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

Although I have not used a lot of the companies mentioned, I have used a couple. And maybe I'm just a wimpy tree huger & all but it is a really big disappointment for me when I open a delivered box and it is stuffed with the styrofoam peanuts. If I decide to reorder from one of the ones who have sent me the styrofoam, I will have to request they not send them & if they insist on using them I may not continue to do business with them (unless they have one heckova deal going!).

Anyone else have this problem? Have you resolved the dilemma

All the shipments i have received have been with plastic pillows.
You could ask them to not ship with peanuts (which I think should be outlawed) but you will have to accept your shipments in whatever condition they arrive.

In the early 90s, foam peanuts made from starches were developed. When you get a shipment with peanuts, see if they are water soluble. If so, they are likely the newer starch based ones.

Wind River Brewing out of Barron, WI. They're not like the mega supply houses, and for us beginners, the kits are top notch quality-wise. They're willing to spend the time on the phone answering questions. And, lastly..when I call in an order, if I beat the UPS driver, my order is on the door step the next day..for $6.39. I just entered a Belgian Wit and a Trappist from them in a beer contest here in La Crosse.

I've used both BrewMastersWarehouse and AustinHomebrewSupply and both are great! I do get my hops from HopsDirect.com as it is a lot cheaper but you have to buy by the pound.

afa Fed Ex signature required: I receive turbos & parts this way all the time. It's annoying as heck cuz I always miss the delivery but I understand the shippers wanting assurance of delivery. I usually ask in the "special instructions" section of an online order for shipping to not be "signature required". Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

We used to have a problem with this, UPS would see the word "MoreBeer" and assume there was alcohol in the package, and they would make it Adult Signature Required. They have since gotten over that, so it could be just FedEx "protecting" the youth :)

I've used several, but being on the east coast, Brewmaster's Warehouse is my favorite for grains and yeast. Excellent packaging, cheap flat rate shipping, and quick turnaround. I use hops direct for hops by the pound though, way cheaper than anyone.

If the OP is in GA then BMW would be like having overnight delivery.

In the early 90s, foam peanuts made from starches were developed. When you get a shipment with peanuts, see if they are water soluble. If so, they are likely the newer starch based ones.

Forrest tried the "green" peanuts at AHS - turns out the rats love 'em :eek:

there was a thread about it awhile ago. but like others have said - don't throw 'em away. Give 'em away at your mom & pop postal shops.

Back