What Beers To Push Through Stout Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J8D

Reaction score
I am wondering what other styles of beers besides stouts do well on a stout faucet? I want to try something lighter than a stout so the wife can enjoy the creaminess that comes from the stout faucet (no crude comments required) :). Thank you.

I have had a Scottish ale and an IIPA on nitro loved them both.

Thank you Zamial. I was actually thining a Scottish Ale would be one. I was reading that you want hardier beers that will not loose flavor on the stout faucet. This would make sense with both of your recommendations. :)

I was in Founders tap room a week or so ago and they were serving their pale ale on nitro. I was very skeptical, but it was actually quite tasty. Try a variety and see what you like, you may be surprised.

Thanks brewmadness. I may just do that. I did put a three gallon keg of pale on it when I first got it. You are correct. It was pretty good. Plus it takes only five seconds to pull the keg off the stout and put it back on straight CO2.

I'd think any malty beer would taste pretty good on nitro. I've seen a brown ale on nitro before. I think a dopplebock on nitro would be pretty tasty.

I made a pumpkin/lactose beer that is amazing thru the stout faucet. Like a pumpkin milk shake. I was thinking about trying a cider on nitro as well.

I'm so pleased with how my dark beers taste on nitro I just ordered another faucet and will have a dedicated mini stout faucet keggerator.

I have an all Brett hop bursted IPA that is a little on the thin side, was thinking about trying that too.

I agree that maltier beers are better. Some things I've tried:
scotch ale - awesome
irish red - awesome
pumpkin porter - nice
esb - ok
belgian blonde - not so good
root beer - awesome

I like a good Irish Red on the stout faucet. That is what is up next on mine as soon as this keg of stout kicks.

I recently had an IPA on nitro at a local bar and it was very good.

Experiment and see what else works.

ktblunden said:
Root beer on nitro sounds amazing. I need to convince my local brewpub to try out their house made root beer on the nitro tap.

That's what I said when I read that. I have a keg of root beer ready to go. Should I try to de-carb it a little first, or just hook it up and pour?

There is a Seattle brewery (Hales) that serves a cream ale on nitro that is quite tasty. It "falls out" kind of like Guinness.

Another vote for the pale ale on nitro. I had it at the local taphouse the other day when I wanted to take it easy. Nice and smooth.

Not to big on taste, but I always think of Boddingtons Pub Ale that has been served on nitro for years. I wiki'd it and it is only described as a pub ale, but I think of it more as a straw colored cream ale.

Not to big on taste, but I always think of Boddingtons Pub Ale that has been served on nitro for years. I wiki'd it and it is only described as a pub ale, but I think of it more as a straw colored cream ale.

I was under the impression it was some type of ordinary bitter/pale mild.

That's what I said when I read that. I have a keg of root beer ready to go. Should I try to de-carb it a little first, or just hook it up and pour?

What's it carbed to? I usually do mine at about 5 psi of CO2 then hook it up to the beer gas to serve. I do the same for the beers I put on it, 5 psi seems to work just right for my setup.

The mouthfeel you get from the nitro/faucet works really well with root beer. Plus it's just cool to watch a soda cascade like a Guinness.

mack25 said:
What's it carbed to? I usually do mine at about 5 psi of CO2 then hook it up to the beer gas to serve. I do the same for the beers I put on it, 5 psi seems to work just right for my setup.

The mouthfeel you get from the nitro/faucet works really well with root beer. Plus it's just cool to watch a soda cascade like a Guinness.

I have it carbed to about 20psi right now, so I'll probably need to bring it down before I try it.

Back