Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What is with beer styles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
jafty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is with beer styles?

I have this thing on hops, that is I love them. If I want to make an eight percent stout that is hopped to the roof is that ok? And by the way does anyone have a clone for LAGUNITAS hop stoopid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Make whatever you want! Who cares about style unless you are interested in competing.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Of course it's ok! The only thing you can't do is enter it in BJCP competitions as "stout" as it's out of the guidelines. But you certainly could enter it as a "specialty ale" and not be out of style a but.

Some ingredients go well together, and some don't. In my opinion, hops and roast don't really mesh. But I had a hoppy stout about a year ago that made me almost change my mind. If you like it, that's the important thing!

I've never cloned Hops Stoopid, but I think we have a clone recipe or two here on the site. I'll see what I can dig up.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
jafty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Of course it's ok! The only thing you can't do is enter it in BJCP competitions as "stout" as it's out of the guidelines. But you certainly could enter it as a "specialty ale" and not be out of style a but.

Some ingredients go well together, and some don't. In my opinion, hops and roast don't really mesh. But I had a hoppy stout about a year ago that made me almost change my mind. If you like it, that's the important thing!

I've never cloned Hops Stoopid, but I think we have a clone recipe or two here on the site. I'll see what I can dig up.
Thanks for the reply hope to find out what they use for hopps

Oh, I just used a stout as an exsample (wish I could spell)

Want to make EdWort's BCB IPA only darker. Think I'll use .25 pound of chocolate, and use a high L crystal like 90.

Quick Reply