Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What beer do you still buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I probably spend MORE on commercial micros of an expensive nature since I started homebrewing....it's called research.

Especially hanging out on here, you read about so many interesting beers that you just have to try. You want to brew a new style, so you have to try a bunch of different versions. You want to make a clone of something so you have to keep buying to try to nail it. You have a full pipeling, with 3-4 beers drinkable, but you just happen to be in the mood for a double chocolate bourbon jalapeno porter, so you drop 12 bucks for a bomber of it.

When you start brewing your beery horizons broaden so much, you really can't escape buying beer.

Last winter for example I was trying to get a feel for the bock style of beer, and looking at brewing one, in one weeks time I bought 3 different sixers of it, one of them was 14.00 for the six- Bell's Celebrator Dopplebock.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #22
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yuengling Lager....I live 30mins from the brewery so there is a bit of hometown loyalty. There is also a great place near me called Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny. The only "regular beers" they have are Yuengling Lager, and Miller lite. The other 200 or so are craft brews from all over the world. It's nice that almost any style I want to try is only 15 mins away!!!(great food too) And it's on the way to the LHBS.....life is good

Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I try making styles I've never brewed before I'll try to pick a few up. I started making lagers fairly recently. For many of them there aren't a lot of commercial examples available here so I've been spending a lot on paulaner and kostrizter (sp?).

Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #24
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Stone IPA are like old friends that I can count on.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
Metallion66
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I still buy craft beer all the time. Nothing in particular just what ever sounds good in the moment. I also don't have a constant pipeline for home brew going yet though. Usually I don't brew again until I run out of the last batch. So I'll go a 1-2 month period with no homebrew.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #26
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I probably spend MORE on commercial micros of an expensive nature since I started homebrewing....it's called research.
Yep, I wasn't aware I was supposed to cut down my purchases when I started brewing.

Was there a sticky about this?!?!?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #27
dukerutledge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
I see a lot of love for Switchback... every time I've had it it's been a mess of diacetyl mixed with a healthy dose of acetalaldehyde. My buddy loves that it's on tap at a ton of little places near him (NH). Maybe it's just inconsistent and I have bad luck?
I live down the road from switchback. I love it when it is good, but their product is highly inconsistent. Sometimes it is downright delicious, sometimes it is watery and sometimes it is a mess. At its best it is a bit chewy, but refreshing with a nice fruity ester undertone.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #28
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 64

So many beers out there I haven't tried yet. I'm sure there is one or two that will become my new obsession to try and clone. Just have to keep finding them.

Primary #1: Border Crossing Vienna #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Empty
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #29
LouisvilleBrews
Recipes 

I would think anything new to you would be a good choice as well as something very unique and/or heavy that you may not want 5-15 gallons of.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #30
LouisvilleBrews
Recipes 

Casks are always intersting too

Quick Reply