New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What beer do you still buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
kagythings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What beer do you still buy?

I'm new to brewing and plan to expand my equipment soon to have the ability to brew some of my favorite craft beer. So far I've brewed a Pale Ale and a Witte with decent success. What I'm curious about is those of you that are able to brew just about any type of beer you want to drink, what do you still buy? Or do you still buy beer? Is it too hard to brew their beer or do you just like the way they brew it?

I love Troegs & Dogfish. Knowing a few of the Dogfish brews are quite complicated to brew I'll be purchasing those for a long time before I even try to copy what they make.
So...

What craft brew do you still buy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Anything i feel for drinkining but dont feel like having a large stock of
Brew dog trashy blonde, Salitos cervesa,+anything i havnt tryed before

European pilsner (tuborg, seidel) is cheap, need lagering capasety and is easy to mess up
So it is not something that get priorety in the brewplans

Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer

Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Anything fresh hop, Ithaca Flower Power, anything by Pretty Things, a few Troegs offerings (especially Java Head), a new Dogfish that sounds good, some White Birch and Maine Beer Co... other than that, just specialty bombers and the occasional single 12oz. I typically buy things I either really really enjoy or things I've never tried, and that's just about it.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Anything I haven't yet tried. Drinking new stuff will spawn ideas and keep you thirsting for something different.

I call it research

Old 11-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
BGates14
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Sierra Nevada is always a great standby for me. I also look for rare beers or uncommon brews like sours and limited releases for the celler. Just picked up a bomber of Weyerbacher's 2010 reserva the other day.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2
Anything I haven't yet tried. Drinking new stuff will spawn ideas and keep you thirsting for something different.

I call it research
This. How else would I know what kind of Amber (Kronik), Tripel (Arend), Pils (Trumer), or Stout (Shakespeare) I want to target?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Whatever looks good on tap at whatever bar I happen to be at. My LHBS has an awesome bottle shop, so I always leave with something (gotta keep the yeast cold on the way home right?). They've also recently opened a pub with a fantastic rotating tap list. Here's the current lineup:

Oakshire Glen's Hop Vice Imperial IPA
Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidan Imperial Black IPA
Big Sky IPA
Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
Stiegl Pilsner
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
Spaten Optimator
Pyramid Audacious Apricot Ale
Deschutes Black Butte XXIII
Nectar Ales IPA
Russian River Consecration
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Two Rivers Huckleberry Cider
Boulder Brewing Planet Porter (on nitro)

And tomorrow night, they're having a Stone tasting.

I still buy a lot of beer.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'll buy pretty much anything I haven't tried yet, "St. Peters" was a regular for me for a while, Sam Adams and Thomas Hooker make it into my fridge on a regular basis now, but I'm getting pretty bored of Sam Adams, it's going to way of Magic Hat, which was my previous regular when I lived in VT. Once I drop Sam Adams maybe it will be Harpoon (again). I really miss swtchback and the VPB. Guinness I pick up when I'm out at the bar now that the season has changed.

So to sum it all up - pretty much anything and everything. I think I have a 24pack of Sam Adams at my parents house I picked up for a party that wasnt consumed, so Sammy will get another run, but I've got a vigerous brewing schedule ahead of me so it will be homebrew for quite some time now - Vermont maple porter (aged), blonde (bottles), heffe (secondary), stout (ingrediants), ipa (ingrediants), helles (recipe), wee heavy (recipe), RIP stout (PM recipe), Pinot gris (secondary) - that's my brewing schedule right now, I'm waiting on yeast for the stout, so the ipa may happen next, the RIP stout will be my long term bottle ager as my Vermont maple porter is running out.

I really need to get my co2 filled so I can keg some of these... Also get more starsan... Maybe a portable kegerator... No, I need to stop buying brewing stuff or my fiancée will smother me with a pillow while i sleep.

Primary: Malbec
Secondary: Cabernet Franc
On Tap: Blonde, Brown, Cider, Marzen
Bottles: King Czar Stout, Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Christmas Lager, 2 buck chuck wine
Aging: RIP RIP Stout (Rest In Peace Russian Imperial Stout)
Next batch(es): Cider

Updated: 4-4-2014

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR-GRN View Post
I'll buy pretty much anything I haven't tried yet, "St. Peters" was a regular for me for a while, Sam Adams and Thomas Hooker make it into my fridge on a regular basis now, but I'm getting pretty bored of Sam Adams, it's going to way of Magic Hat, which was my previous regular when I lived in VT. Once I drop Sam Adams maybe it will be Harpoon (again). I really miss swtchback and the VPB. Guinness I pick up when I'm out at the bar now that the season has changed.

So to sum it all up - pretty much anything and everything. I think I have a 24pack of Sam Adams at my parents house I picked up for a party that wasnt consumed, so Sammy will get another run, but I've got a vigerous brewing schedule ahead of me so it will be homebrew for quite some time now - Vermont maple porter (aged), blonde (bottles), heffe (secondary), stout (ingrediants), ipa (ingrediants), helles (recipe), wee heavy (recipe), RIP stout (PM recipe), Pinot gris (secondary) - that's my brewing schedule right now, I'm waiting on yeast for the stout, so the ipa may happen next, the RIP stout will be my long term bottle ager as my Vermont maple porter is running out.

I really need to get my co2 filled so I can keg some of these... Also get more starsan... Maybe a portable kegerator... No, I need to stop buying brewing stuff or my fiancée will smother me with a pillow while i sleep.
I see a lot of love for Switchback... every time I've had it it's been a mess of diacetyl mixed with a healthy dose of acetalaldehyde. My buddy loves that it's on tap at a ton of little places near him (NH). Maybe it's just inconsistent and I have bad luck?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Stik9yne
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anything Schells!

Tippin' a Nordeast

Bottled- Holiday Brew "Tidings 5.5" & Turbodog clone
Primary- Hoptober-fest lager

Quick Reply