New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What beer can't you get just right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #41
strambo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For me it is a marionberry strong ale. I dig high grav beers with a hint of fruit. The first time I split the batch and the strong ale was great. The berry portion sucked, way too much berry and I oxidized it to boot. It's berry season again, time for round 2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpartaNJ View Post
For me it is standard IPA's. they are hoppy and all, but I think I really need to start messing with water chemistry. All of the them are missing the "crispness" in commercial IPA. The hop flavors too are "muted." I am also going to start mashing lower. I usually mash at 152, goi g to start mashing at 149 to 150.
What yeast have you used? US-05 is pretty hop-forward

Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #43
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Schwartslager. I almost always get it too roasty. The most recent attempt was pretty close.

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #44
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake

What yeast have you used? US-05 is pretty hop-forward
I usually use us-05 and bry-97 for my lighter/hop pier beers.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #45
daksin

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahawk View Post
No. I've been living a blissfully ignorant existence when it comes to brewing water. We have nice, neutral water here straight from the tap. For most brews I mix some filtered with unfiltered water with good results. I have wondered if that might be the case.
It's definitely worth checking out. The water test is cheap and it's good information to have whether you're putting it to use or not.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #46
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
It's definitely worth checking out. The water test is cheap and it's good information to have whether you're putting it to use or not.
Even cheaper, click here, then scroll down (or control-F) until you see Omaha: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles/

Water profiles can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, and may change seasonally as the water source varies as well. But that should at least get you in the ballpark. I'm nothing near an expert, but your water is pretty salty, and the pH is high enough that you could market it as a heartburn cure.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #47
Omahawk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post

Even cheaper, click here, then scroll down (or control-F) until you see Omaha: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles/

Water profiles can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, and may change seasonally as the water source varies as well. But that should at least get you in the ballpark. I'm nothing near an expert, but your water is pretty salty, and the pH is high enough that you could market it as a heartburn cure.
Thanks. I read the 2012 district water quality report and that reported sodium level is accurate (high end of their samples, but still...) Ironic that we're 1,000 miles from the nearest ocean but are essentially drinking sea water. ;-)

I've been avoiding it for my 4 years of brewing, but I will start educating myself on water before our next Amber beer brew session.

In Heaven there is no beer
That's why we drink it here
And when we're all gone from here
Our friends will be drinking all the beer.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #48
TangoHotel
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakudwn View Post
American Amber. Tried 2 times and something went wrong on both attempts..............I guess its my unicorn.
Its your Great White Buffalo. Mines been Dry Stouts. They just don't turn out. :-\

Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #49
RmikeVT
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastquake View Post
Thanks braufessor, this is good motivation to get my water tested to see what's there. I think I am long overdue since I started AG brewing two years ago. I may just start with distilled water and treat it from scratch.
Getting my water tested by Ward Labs and taking time to become familiar with Bru'n Water has paid huge dividends for me, also filtering my water.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #50
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahawk View Post
Thanks. I read the 2012 district water quality report and that reported sodium level is accurate (high end of their samples, but still...) Ironic that we're 1,000 miles from the nearest ocean but are essentially drinking sea water. ;-)

I've been avoiding it for my 4 years of brewing, but I will start educating myself on water before our next Amber beer brew session.
I've just started getting into it myself. My local water is pretty similar to yours, other than the Gatorade-level sodium (you could make a Gose without having to add salt). I don't bother to adjust mine for stouts, but spending $2 for 8 gallons of RO water and adding some minerals is a pretty cheap and easy way to improve my hoppy pales.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Quick Reply