Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to ask a brewery about their recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
disney7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Their web page didn't have any details on their beers (from a homebrewjng prospective). I did email them and a fellow who turned out to be the president of the business emailed me back with a bunch of good tips on the recipe.

Still going to stop by there today, have a beer, and see what else I can learn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
unclephilly
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Be careful. I know with some of the breweries here in Ohio they guard their recipe's like it was made of gold. They DO NOT want you to clone it. They want you to buy theirs. Sure they may give you some hints. But, I've heard many a story that some places send you on a wild goose chase and or send you in the wrong direction to say the least.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
last year i asked my local brewery to help me clone one of their beers and they did help me with the grain bill and gave me liters of yeast slurry to boot. last week that beer got a 2nd place ribbon in the world cup of beer held here in oakland. when i contacted the brewery about my win they asked if they could put a picture of the ribbon on their facebook page and twitter account which was very nice of them. just by coincidence they recently started bottling that particular beer which had previously been a seasonal on tap only beer. the brewery is Drakes Brewery in san leandro ca and the beer is their Alpha Session Ale.
Hey eastoak - I was searching for a recipe for Drake's Alpha Session ale and I came across your response to another HBT member. I've taken a look at the Drake's website but if your interested in sharing the recipe you came up with, I'd really like to try it out.

I had been looking for a lower alcohol alternative with good hop presence and about a month ago I found Drake's Alpha on tap at a local pub. I'm hooked, this is a great beer - and under 4% no less! Look out lawn mower, here I come

Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC

Hey eastoak - I was searching for a recipe for Drake's Alpha Session ale and I came across your response to another HBT member. I've taken a look at the Drake's website but if your interested in sharing the recipe you came up with, I'd really like to try it out.

I had been looking for a lower alcohol alternative with good hop presence and about a month ago I found Drake's Alpha on tap at a local pub. I'm hooked, this is a great beer - and under 4% no less! Look out lawn mower, here I come
Hey I responded to your other thread...Hoffers has Citra on tap from Green Flash, a 4.5% session IPA with Citra. Similar to Alpha, but I feel a little better. Worth checking out and there is some info on it online...it reminded me of a "smaller" Alpine Hoppy Birthday to be honest.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks Trent, I'll have to try and get by there this week and give it a try! I really like Green Flash beers but when I see them in the store, the prices seem to be a bit over the top. They were one of the first west coast beers that I noticed going to a 4 pack

Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #16
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Be careful. I know with some of the breweries here in Ohio they guard their recipe's like it was made of gold.
I've had a brewer email me the full brewsheet for their latest batch of a particular beer I loved after I asked. It doesn't hurt to ask (nicely). I know here in Austin a lot of brewers got started through homebrew.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Once, they tell some stranger, that walks into the brewery, what their recipe is. As you walk away, figure, that 99% of what hey told you is smoke and mirrors.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #18
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 876

I've had mixed successes with my attempts. Generally, when the person I'm asking is just the guy doing the brewery tours, they're pretty tight-lipped, even for pretty basic recipe questions. Either they don't handle any of the brewing and don't know the details, or they have an across-the-board non-disclosure rule.

If you can talk to the brewmaster, they're usually more accommodating. I know other people have had very good responses from Stone (to the point that they release official clone recipes of several of their beers), and I've had good discussions with people from Oskar Blues and some of the small local places.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #19
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 785 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 2308

Speaking strictly from a business standpoint, there is little value in the recipe itself. Do you think Coca-Cola got so popular because their recipe is that much better than XYZ Cola? No, it was aggressive marketing and expansion. The "secret" recipe is just part of the hype. There certainly nothing "magic" about Budweiser's grain bill that leads to it's crazy success. A proprietary process is more important than ingredients, which can largely be copied via lab tests and trial-and-error.

I think you'll find that most small craft brewers don't mind talking recipes with fans. It helps build customer relationships, and probably strokes their egos a bit to boot. Even if they don't give you their recipe in exact detail per their system, they will often help you dial in a 5 gallon recipe to clone-standards. Do your research ahead of time, be polite, and don't be presumptuous about what information they are or aren't going to give you.

2. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.
UnderCouchers 4 Lyfe
eastoak Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #20
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

good points hunter. i've emailed russian river asking about a specific beer and vinnie answered me himself giving me detailed explanations about the recipe and process, went back and forth a few times. i was expecting to get some standard email but he was very helpful and gracious. vinnie, like many other excellent brewers, understands that he will not be affected in a negative way by helping other brewers, he can only win. i've heard of brewers refusing to talk about their recipes or process but they are only fooling themselves thinking that there are secrets in brewing.

Quick Reply