Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wet hops: favor, aroma, or both?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
mrbippers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wet hops: favor, aroma, or both?

I grow a ton of Nugget hops and right now I'm planning this year's fresh hop brew, most likely an all nugget IPA. I'm just trying to breakdown which additions I use wet and which I use dried. Also, yes I know ~5x weight for the wet v. dry.

I've taken to the 60-10-0 schedule for my bittering, flavor, and aroma additions with great results. Obviously my bittering hops will be dried to more tightly control the IBUs. I'll go wet hops for the flameout aroma addition, but the flavor is where I'm concerned. I don't want to bring too much of a vegetal flavor and I'm not sure if I should use dried, wet, or perhaps a mix here. Maybe with only 10 mins it's not a huge deal. Any input from experienced wet hop brewers is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 26

A pro brewer friend suggests not using wet hops for the bittering addition, as this is where you can get the real vegetal flavors from the long boil time. Fresh hop the flavor and aroma additions. Personally, I like doing 100% fresh hop brews.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1139 Times on 924 Posts

Should be interesting to read what "wet hop veterans" have to say, but it seems to me that sticking with the "5x dry" guideline there's no need at all to dry the hops for any addition. Further, H20 content isn't going to contribute to any veggie flavors, so I'd stick with whatever schedule you'd use if they were all dry.

'Course, that could all be wrong, somehow and while I've brewed many batches using my own dried Chinook/Centennial/Cascade hops, I'll defer to the opinions of those with actual experience...

Cheers!

Quick Reply