Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wet Hop Hop Bursted IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Zabuza
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000
For mine I used 5 oz wet FWH, an oz pellet at 60, then about 15 oz wet at 10. Plus some leaf hops at knockout.

Just bottled yesterday, and didn't detect grass.
That's good to hear. I'm beginning to think that the grass notes are mainly a myth (or maybe for 60min additions only).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
bmorgan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/1...tract-kit.html and it was quite tasty. It was a touch grassy, but there's a good chance I was too eager the test the results to give it sufficient conditioning time.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorgan
I brewed http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/1...tract-kit.html and it was quite tasty. It was a touch grassy, but there's a good chance I was too eager the test the results to give it sufficient conditioning time.
That was a pellet kit though, right? I mean, it's awesome that they did a hopbursted IPA, but my concern is the four pounds of wet hops I'm gonna use. Though I guess a pound of pellet hops means four pounds of fresh hops might produce more grass...tnx for the heads up

Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuza View Post
That's good to hear. I'm beginning to think that the grass notes are mainly a myth (or maybe for 60min additions only).
Everything I've heard says to NOT use wet hops for bittering. Also, assume a 1% AA with the wet hops.

Personally, I like a bit of grass. In my wet hop ale, of course.

I think Great Divide, who makes a killer wet hop ale, usually strives for some grassiness as well.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Alright, I think I'm going to go through with it. Looks like people have been successful with smaller doses, so we'll see how mine does. It'll be useful for posterity if I record the results of four pounds of wet hops in a bursting schedule, good or bad.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Eliterunner1
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good luck! I'm interested to see how it turns out, I know I'm excited to try mine when it's done

Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

So, just to confirm here - you're using $65 worth of hops in a 3 gallon batch?

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell
So, just to confirm here - you're using $65 worth of hops in a 3 gallon batch?
Not quite, but close enough. I know a guy at the store (childhood friend) I'm getting the wet hops from (and he also thinks the price for wet hops is outrageous), so it'll be $10/pound or $40 total. Also, I'm still debating the batch size. The less malt I have to put in the same quantity of water (it's going to be a 3 gallon boil regardless...need room for the hops) means greater hop efficiency. I'll just have to decide on the amount of GU:BU I want and do that. I could end up with three gallons of hoppy, weaker beer (if I adjusted by putting less malt into the same size boil and didn't dilute it afterwards), or I could get less hops utilization by squeezing tons of fermentables in that three gallon boil (but sacrifice some IBUs, maybe I could top off).

Haven't quite worked that out, yet...I need to decide how many IBUs I want, then determine the amount of end volume I can get that amount of IBUs for, then calculate the amount of sugars I can put in while still achieving those IBUs. My target is 100+, but we'll see if that's possible for a 7%+ ABV, five gallon batch with only a three gallon boil. Keeping everything the same and diluting with less water (i.e. keeping the overall batch size smaller) is one option, another option is to cut back significantly on the underlying malt to get better hops utilization.

But yeah...hop bursting ain't the cheapest. That's pretty well known. Even if you use pellets, you're still looking at $30+ for an IPA.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
Zabuza
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

lol

image-1095083052.jpg

Ever get the feeling that what you are doing/about to do is ridiculous and absurd?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
tc33133
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just did a Pale Ale with my backyard Cascades and Nuggets. Here are the details. It was a 10 gal batch I bittered with Chinook and Centennial pellets and did a 1 hour "hopstand" @ 170F after flame out with 6 oz wet Cascade and 3 oz wet Nugget. The hops were pretty dry, so I was thinking more of a 3:1 or 4:1 type ratio.

I fermented half with WLP001 and half with WLP002. I haven't updated my recipe post with this info yet, but the flavor after fermentation was great for both batches. Nothing grassy at all. The WLP002 batch had more fruity flavor, but the hop character was good in both and had an almost minty type of taste, but not in a bad way. Maybe more like minty-freshness

I then dry hopped the WLP002 batch with 1.5oz Cascade pellets and 1.5oz Centennial pellets. It is carbed up and I've been drinking it, but I think it needs another week to get the optimal flavor. I'm happy with it

I wet hopped the WLP001 batch with 6oz Nugget and 4oz Cascade wet hops. I did this in a corny keg with dip screen around 70-73 deg for 1 week. This was a little ballsy (the hops weren't completely dry so I went with a 5:1 ratio), and now I know what people mean by getting grassy flavors. Its not carbbed yet, but its pretty difficult to drink. The beer finished really dry (1.007 !!) which really accentuates the hop forwardness, and I'm getting a real green grass chlorophyll-y taste from it, and its not tasting very good. I don't know if you ever tasted liquid chlorophyll or blue-green algae, but its something similar to that. I'm hoping as it gets properly carbed and sits for a bit it will get better.

So I would be careful wet hopping (dry hopping with wet hops). I probably used way too much for a 5 gal batch, but I also don't think Nugget is a great choice for an aromatic dry hop anyway. I would have had a nice beer without dry or wet hopping, but had the hops to use. I didn't have to pay anything for the hops, so I really just used what I had. Good luck

Quick Reply