Westvleteren 12 why the hype?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
I finally got a sample. It was a great beer. But I don't think it's light years ahead of Rochefort beers.

It seems that the scarcity in the US makes it more valuable in dollars than it actually is.

The beer was shared at a pub...I did a little bit of begging...but got a little sipper.

I like Rochefort 10 more myself. The limited ness of it makes it more desirable I believe. It's good had it tons of times but its pretty close to the rest.

I like Rochefort 10 more myself. The limited ness of it makes it more desirable I believe. It's good had it tons of times but its pretty close to the rest.

I agree. I lived in Belgium between 2007-2010. I went to St. Sixtus Abbey a few time when people came to visit, but for me Rochefort is a better beer.

The beer I really miss right now though is Orval. Man I wish I could just drive down to the GB and pick up a couple of cases for less than 2 Euro a bottle.

I think alot of these super scarce beers are exciting beacuse of the laws of supply and demand. They can be very well done by home brewers, maybe some have lots of expensive hops, long ageing, or barrel s, but other than that it is science, not magic.

One of my faves is Boulevard BBQ, making a clone of a HBT recipe in a month, I'll report at Christmas time.

Scarcity definitely helps, but it's a really excellent beer. It's been a while since I had Rochefort 10, but the complex middle fruit flavors (grape, plum) in Westvleteren 12 are really amazing. Rochefort I remember as having more dark fruit (plum, cherry) though it's been too long now to be sure.

I doubt I'll ever buy Westvleteren again (can't in the gift pack and that Belgium trip will probably never happen), but I still have 4 bottles and 5 gallons in my basement. Best beer in the world? Impossible. Best of it's style? It's certainly in the top 3.

personal taste will push the boundaries of mass perception. what you may find appealing & desirable, I may find not to my liking. I'm sure to some, it's well worth the price & hype.

Back