Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > West Coast Brewery Trip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Just drank a bottle of the loakal red last night- very impressed. It's nice to have such an unusual beer that clocks in under 7%. A little too oaky, for me, but really a great beer. It would take age incredibly- consider picking up an extra bottle to lay down. Good call- A21 is great, but if you've already been, it'd be cool to see some new places.

You should toss up a map of your progress and the breweries you've been to!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
Leubega
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Tracked down a place to crash just outside of buellton for the night. Day one was definitely a success. Began at the Bruery in placentia around 2, got to surf brewing in Ventura at 6, island brewing in carpinteria ( which was an AWESOME suggestion). Trying to find the place was definitely interesting, took a few to realize you had to sneak behind the building but their starry night stout and big island DIPA were more than worth it. And finally finished up with an extra late dinner at Brewhouse in Santa Barbara. The brew was just ok for the most part but the food, atmosphere and excellent music more than covered up for any lacking areas. Pictures of all are to come as day two starts tomorrow: looks like firestone, central coast, drake, and speakeasy are on tap for tomorrow. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #23
Leubega
Recipes 

Finally made it back home to Davis this morning after a long day on the road yesterday. Left Buellton in time to make it to Pismo beach for some Splash cafe clam chowder. Parked right up the street and stumbled on a brewery right next to the car. Can't really remember the name but the beer was equally forgettable. However we did also find an excellent liquor store with a perfect selection of CA breweries.

Headed up to San Luis afterwards to make a pitstop at Central Coast Brewing Co. Kudos to the recommendation; the beer was excellent and Jim the owner was awesome. They had a great bourbon stout, excellent Tripel, and a really interesting Chai Ale that we wish we could have taken a bottle of with us.

Next up was Firestone where we got to snag some Parabola, Succaba, Walker's reserve, and an excellent oaked DBA served out of a nitro. It was pretty packed for the holiday weekend so we had our tastings and hit the road. We ended up taking the 1 north since my co-pilot hadn't ever traveled the coastline. The scenery was gorgeous as always but it really smashed our chances by adding on about 3 hours to the trip.

We ended up skipping our SF stopover to save them for another date (only an hour or so away) and jetted up to pick up some Lagunitas to quench the thirst. It was equally packed so we didnt stay too long in order to save time for farther north but made plans for a tour in a few weeks.

After that we skipped RR to make it to Bear Republic (which was closing a good two hours earlier). Nothing crazy on tap, just had a few pints of some fresh Racer 5 and grabbed a couple bottle of Red Rocket.

The grand finale was definitely Russian River. We got there are 10:30 at night and it was SLAMMED inside; the host however got us to a table within about 15. Immediately put in an order for a Supplication and the SWMBO snagged a CA taster of all their non-sours. All I have to say is WOW! My first experience there and everything was fantastic. Two hours later, a pizza, and a few tulips of Supp, Defenestration, and Salvation and we were crashed for the quick trip back home to Davis. Definitely going to be making it there more often though.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, those little bottle shops came in perfectly. Schwag picture coming up soon.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
Leubega
Recipes 

Supplication, Consecration, and 4x Pliny the Elder from Russian River
Just Outstanding IPA from Kern River Brewing
Saison Rue from The Bruery
2011 Sofie
Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic
IPA from Tap It Brewing in San Luis
Starry Night Stout and Island Pale Ale from Island Brewing Co. in Carpinteria
County Line Rye PA from Surf Brewing in Ventura
Summer Saison from Green Flash
Catch 23 Rye and the Tripel from Central Coast Brewing
2013 Parabola and 16th Anniversary Ale from Firestone

Not Pictured:
Loakal Red from the Bruery
Galaxy White IPA from Anchorage Brewing

imag0062.jpg  

Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #25
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leubega
Tracked down a place to crash just outside of buellton for the night. Day one was definitely a success. Began at the Bruery in placentia around 2, got to surf brewing in Ventura at 6, island brewing in carpinteria ( which was an AWESOME suggestion). Trying to find the place was definitely interesting, took a few to realize you had to sneak behind the building but their starry night stout and big island DIPA were more than worth it. And finally finished up with an extra late dinner at Brewhouse in Santa Barbara. The brew was just ok for the most part but the food, atmosphere and excellent music more than covered up for any lacking areas. Pictures of all are to come as day two starts tomorrow: looks like firestone, central coast, drake, and speakeasy are on tap for tomorrow. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
We are planning our next RV trip to Pismo in a few weeks. Looks like the wifey is taking the wheel after lunch in Carpinteria. How far is Island brewing from El Capitan?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #26
Leubega
Recipes 

El Capitan State Beach road?? I'd say about 30-40 minutes since that is a little past Isla Vista and Island Brewing is about dead center of Carp. Definitely recommend going though, we were more than pleasantly surprised with the atmosphere and definitely with the brew. The missus had the Big Island Imperial PA
And I had the jubilee ale, both very solid

Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #27
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leubega
El Capitan State Beach road?? I'd say about 30-40 minutes since that is a little past Isla Vista and Island Brewing is about dead center of Carp. Definitely recommend going though, we were more than pleasantly surprised with the atmosphere and definitely with the brew. The missus had the Big Island Imperial PA
And I had the jubilee ale, both very solid
I'll be there in a couple weeks. I was hoping it would be closer to the campgrounds. Still going to stop in for a pint...or two.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #28
twblanset
Recipes 

It's a little inland, but Rubicon IPA in Sacramento is one of my all time favorites. Sierra Nevada in Chico has a lot of beers on tap that they don't bottle, and 21st Amendment is always good (but like the previous poster said-don't go there on a SF Giants game-night).

Quick Reply