Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > We're number one!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
Sigafoos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought that the general definition of "binge drinking" was "drinking to get drunk" -- if that's the case, then the vast majority of beer drinking done by people on the forums doesn't count. Hell, one of the items on the You're no longer a n00b when... list is "You stop caring what ABV your beer is, because you know you can put away at least a 6er of 8abv beers before you 'feel' anything, and just care about the taste." Now, I know this isn't some master list of things you must aspire to, but still: it seems that homebrewers are much more interested in taste, flavor, etc than getting wasted and as such can never be accused of binge drinking. Perhaps drinking too much, but that's another beast entirely

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try not to get too hung up on the term "binge drinking." Its used merely to denote a level of alcohol use somewhere between a little and a lot, and does not take into account the context in which the drinking occured, or anything like that.

Alcohol use researchers are usually interested in three levels of drinking:

Current Use - At least one drink in the past 30 days,
Binge Use - Five or more drinks on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past 30 days,
Heavy Use - Five or more drinks on the same occasion on each of 5 or more days in the past 30 days.

Slightly more than half of all Americans 12 years and older are current users, about 23 percent are binge users, and about 7 percent are heavy users.

Alcohol use is a good thing, as we all know. Alcohol abuse is a bad thing and has many negative personal and social consequences. Binge Use and Heavy Use can be (though are not necessarily) indicators of alcohol abuse, regardless of the context in which drinking occurs. This is why researchers are interested in the rates of binge drinking (and heavy drinking) in the U.S.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #13
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So if I go out on Sat. every week and once on a Fri. during a month I'm a heavy drinker? Please at my wieght I need three before I start feeling buzzed. This study is so scewed to anti-liqour side that it isn't funny.

Quick Reply