Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Went to a buffalo wild wings today...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I think Dead Guy is a mediocre beer at best. And I also always have that experience with its carbonation (a little on the low side). People seem to love it, though. More power to em! Drink what you like, right?

Oh, and the selection is totally based on the market. If BW3 didn't offer a large craft beer selection in Michigan, they'd get killed by the local sports bars. There are too many craft beer drinkers in this area for them not to have them, so by offering ~10 good crafts they can at least compete.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
BootstrapBill
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think rogue has some pretty good beers. They are just expensive. Dead guy is one of my least favorite. They have a good west coast pale ale and there mocha porter and double chocolate stout are pretty awesome.

Notable Empties: Pecan Porter, NorthWestern Pale Ale, Double IPA, Red IPA, Amber

Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
chefrand15
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
As a side question:

i never had a dead guy ale before, and im generally unfamiliar with the maibock style. I see lots of guys like their DGA clones, so i ordered it.

My draft was a little on the 'flat' side for my tastes, definately less carbed than i expected. Is this typical of the style / beer or did i just get a lame pour?
I must also say that a "nucleated glass" will also contribute to the flat carbonation taste. All the tall draft glasses are nucleated to make you thing the beer tastes fresher with the constant flow of bubbles. That just helps the CO2 gather on the rougher cut glass and loose the carbonation faster. If I am correct Sam Adams made this popular.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrand15 View Post
I must also say that a "nucleated glass" will also contribute to the flat carbonation taste. All the tall draft glasses are nucleated to make you thing the beer tastes fresher with the constant flow of bubbles. That just helps the CO2 gather on the rougher cut glass and loose the carbonation faster. If I am correct Sam Adams made this popular.
looked like a regular pint glass to me. I sipped it 30 seconds off the tap.... was just as flat tasting as it was 10 mins later. Taste was ok, but didnt improve as the temp went into the 50s with the lack of carb.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I just confirmed with SWMBO that we are heading to BWW this weekend. I have never been and am up for a little RECON.

I have noted everything noted on these forums and reviews, but will go in open-minded and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Dan Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
boxofjibboo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used to go before I was 21 while living in houston. I loved the mass amount of different sauces and the wedge cheese fries. That place was the **** in my opinion. I just wish there were some in San Diego. so for all of those who do have them, as we said in TX, thank your lucky stars

Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You guys saying you like their wings, I live in Buffalo, have for 40 years, those wings are not Buffalo Wings. You may like them, you may think they are the best you ever had, but please do not call them Buffalo Wings, call them chicken wings.

I've been the BWW a several times, and their wings are small and skinny, and not crispy enough. Buffalo wing should have a decent crispy outer layer, with juicy moist meat in the center, and hot sauce. There are places here in Buffalo with wings are small clubs you can beat your wife with, and she will love the slapping slathering sauce. Crispness is key for a Buffalo Wing, BWW serves mass fried drop 10-12 mins in a fryer and call it done wings, and there is a toss up of getting wing soup (too much sauce) or barely enough.

Some of the sauces they serve are actually really good, but I find their hot sauce not hot enough, I would go along the path of saying they are a wing sauce restaurant that serves beer. I usually end up getting a sandwich there, and get my wings at hole in the wall bars in Buffalo as that is where you will find the best wings. There are distributors here that sell the larger wings, the chain restaurants here avoid them because of cost.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
MyakkaRiver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The ones here in Sarasota have Cigar City Jai Alai, which always makes me happy! Plus the discount wing night and trivia never fails to disappoint!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #29
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Going back Sunday with the church crew for the Lion's game.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgs3
You guys saying you like their wings, I live in Buffalo, have for 40 years, those wings are not Buffalo Wings. You may like them, you may think they are the best you ever had, but please do not call them Buffalo Wings, call them chicken wings.

I've been the BWW a several times, and their wings are small and skinny, and not crispy enough. Buffalo wing should have a decent crispy outer layer, with juicy moist meat in the center, and hot sauce. There are places here in Buffalo with wings are small clubs you can beat your wife with, and she will love the slapping slathering sauce. Crispness is key for a Buffalo Wing, BWW serves mass fried drop 10-12 mins in a fryer and call it done wings, and there is a toss up of getting wing soup (too much sauce) or barely enough.

Some of the sauces they serve are actually really good, but I find their hot sauce not hot enough, I would go along the path of saying they are a wing sauce restaurant that serves beer. I usually end up getting a sandwich there, and get my wings at hole in the wall bars in Buffalo as that is where you will find the best wings. There are distributors here that sell the larger wings, the chain restaurants here avoid them because of cost.
As my buddy from Rochester always says "if they ain't from Anchor Bar or Duffs they ain't wings." though as a wing fanatic I must say, eating at the place that invented the chicken wing is an unrivaled experience that sets the bar as high as it goes. That being said, I'm enough of a wing addict to enjoy almost anyone's wings, even BWW.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout
Primary : London System Southern English Brown
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply