Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Well I did it I pulled the trigger and went into kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Well I did it I pulled the trigger and went into kegging

I read a thread last week where someone was deciding between kegging and AG. I am already AG. But he peaked my interest with a Midwest Supplies listing. 2 tap system with dual regulator and CO2. Simple system but it is a good start.
I have also ordered 4 more kegs for a total of 6 kegs. Does anyone know if the Home Depot Magic Chef 4.4 CF fridge would do nicely for my chiller. I'll be getting the tower for my birthday. And I will be having a Crawfish Boil in April with multiple kegs on tap plus some aged beauties which should be coming of age nicely right around there.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

congrats on moving to the keg world. I'm currently trying to figure out my setup.

One thing i think others might suggest (but i admit upfront that i haven't done) is to consider a chest freezer with a collar. A magic chef 7.2 ft chest freezer from home depot isn't too much more expensive and you can fit 3-4 kegs. I don't think it's footprint would also be that much larger.

Also, when you discover you need a 7/8ths wrench or a 12-pointed star wrench, auto zone has a cheap one. Home depot only seemed to have the deep sockets, which would work as well. You'll need one for breaking down your kegs, well there is a good chance it will be that size, but you get the idea.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Just yet another part of this all consuming hobby. Two stories out of this search.

I started out looking for a way I get a chest freezer that would fit into my basement. The max width could be 19" to get into the basement. Couldn't find anything. Finally I found the mini fridges. The frigidaire the magic chef and the Sanyo that could actually fit in the basement. My wife saw me looking at those and said if you can get one in white to match our kitchen we could probably squeeze one into our kitchen. Woo hoo, (my basement is more a root cellar in a 200 year farmhouse.)

Suddenly I have permission to buy a 2 tap system for the kitchen witht the one rule that I get my kettles off the fridge and the conditioning bottles in the basement.

So I have questions for keggers. Say you brew a batch of 9.5 % dark strong. I don;t know about you but I just don't want to drink 5 gallons on tap of that. I could see spreading out that experience over 2 - 3 years. Also, what if you just get tired of a beer after a few days of pulling on it. Can you just pull it and put a new one in its place? and come back to the old one later. Or would I have to bottle the remainder amd just empty the keg. I assume this is common.

This whole topic is what has been keeping me from doing this kegging thing sooner. I often seem to get tired of beers after 3 or 4 six packs. I always come back but I like to take breaks from a particular beer for a while

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

As far as the strong ales go...I bottle those in 22/24 ouncers. Same as what you are describing, I just don't want to drink all night off of a big beer like that. Ahem, let me rephrase that; I don't want to wake up in the morning after drinking a big beer like that all night . So, as much as I hate bottling, bottling 24 big beers is better than bottling 48 small ones. Plus, I free up a keg for something that will be pouring a lot more frequently; like a hefe, brown, or IPA. If money and cellaring space was unlimited I would just buy a crapton of kegs, but I've got 5 kegs now so I try to keep stuff in them that will move quickly. Another plus to the bottles is that it's very easy to stash 4 or 5 away for a year...but it's pretty damn hard to save a keg with less than a gallon in it. When a keg gets light I get this odd desire to float it!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
luvmy40
Recipes 

I made the leap to kegging after my first bottling experience!
I opted for the chest freezer in the unheated garage. Had to go with a dual mode, heating/cooling t-stat and a season switch. Anyway this allows me to store 5 cornies at temp and have room to lager a primary.

I recently built a kegerator for my buddy. Now I don't have to drag everything out to his place for the game day parties. The problem that I ran into building his was that the small fridges didn't have enough height clearance because of the ice tray compartment, which can't be removed as the evap coils run through most of them. I wound up using a small chest freezer. The problem with that is you have to move it away from the wall so the tower clears when opening it. This turned into a Frankenstein project. Used freezer was too ugly. Wrapped in wood, trimmed out and added a counter top + True Beverage t-stat + Tower and cobbled together Co2 system.

After the whole thing was said and done I would have saved money just buying a HD kegerator and making corny adapters!

So I guess I am saying to make sure that there is enough clearance(height) in the fridge for the keg + connections/hoses.

*TANSTAAFL*
The best things in are NOT free. They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The trouble I'm having building a Kegerator is finding one that will hold 3 kegs. The way I see it I want 2 kegs taped so I can enjoy 2 flavors. But I want one ready to go so I don't hit a brick wall when one or both float at the worst time. My first thought was a Keezer but I also want a tower and a tower on a Keezer would be a PITA that the War Department would never approve. So my search goes on for a mini fridge that will hold 3. I would appreciate any pointers.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Lost Pirate
Recipes 

I did my kekerator last summer and I used the Oster 5 cu. ft. mini fridge. It dosn't have a freezer sections so the kegs fit fine. It was a very easy conversion and it holds two kegs and a 5lb. Co2 tank. I love to have more taps but I just don't have the space for a large chest freezer.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
delarob
Recipes 

Awsome! You'll love kegging. It's so much simpler you'll wish you'd done it sooner.

As for kegging and bottling, you can get yourself a beergun and bottle some off of the keg for storage if you like. It also helps for when you want to send bottles for competition.

Homeless Waif Brewing Co.

In the Beirmeister:
Vanilla S.O.B. (smoked, oaked, boubon stout)

Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Can you just pull it and put a new one in its place? and come back to the old one later. Or would I have to bottle the remainder amd just empty the keg. I assume this is common.
This should not be a problem, Warming up and cooling down won't have any negative effect on the beer and it will hold pressure, assuming good seal, until you're ready to put it back in. You'll also notice a different beer most likely depending on how long you wait to put it back in. But I also agree with bottling such monsters in bombers as apposed to kegging them. I have 3 taps and once I build my pipeline up I plan on keeping Ales 7% and under on tap and anything over that in bottles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
When a keg gets light I get this odd desire to float it!
Same here. I have a keg of Apfelwein I'm trying to float right now. I lift the keg and do not undertand how Apfelwein is still coming out the tap! Though it is foaming a lot more now. I'd say it's about done. But that gets me into trouble with the "okay, one more pint should do it" mentality. Then I wake up in the back yard with no clothes on and a superman cape on my back. And there's STILL apfelwein in the D*mn Keg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
The trouble I'm having building a Kegerator is finding one that will hold 3 kegs. The way I see it I want 2 kegs taped so I can enjoy 2 flavors. But I want one ready to go so I don't hit a brick wall when one or both float at the worst time. My first thought was a Keezer but I also want a tower and a tower on a Keezer would be a PITA that the War Department would never approve. So my search goes on for a mini fridge that will hold 3. I would appreciate any pointers.
You can always carb kegs outside the fridge while storing them, then just leave them in over night to cool. I've not seen in mini's on here that will hold 3 kegs. But you can build them out. Depending on your DIY level you can make a cabinet that the fridge attaches too supplying the cold air and essentially have room for as many kegs as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delarob View Post
As for kegging and bottling, you can get yourself a beergun and bottle some off of the keg for storage if you like. It also helps for when you want to send bottles for competition.
Don't spend $100 bucks on one of those. Spend the 5 dollars and make Biermunchers version. It cost me 39C and does the same thing. I already ahd everythging laying around besides the bottle size stopper.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice GOING!!!

I took a look at the thread "show me your Kegerator/Keezer" Took DAYS to get through all the pages. I was amazed a the Compexity of some keg systems and the simplicity of others.

I ended up building a Kegerator with a 5.0 Oster fridge. Fits 2 kegs with slight door modification and added a tower and cooling shaft for the lines up the tower with additional insulation to prevent condensation on the tower exterior.
Cheers

Quick Reply