Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Weird Foaming Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Joeywhat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Weird Foaming Problem

Weird problem just cropping up on one of my kegs. I recently tapped a blonde ale that I naturally carbed in the keg. Let it sit for almost 3 weeks, put it on roughly 7 psi to serve and everythings been great - until today.

I pulled a couple pints earlier and it poured fine, decent head no excessive foaming. But the last few have had TONS of foam. I didn't change anything, absolutely nothing has been touched or changed short of the amount of beer in the keg (still almost full).

I'm running a 5' picnic tap, and have had zero problem with the last keg and the first part of the current keg. I typically keep the pressure right between 5-7 psi for serving. I've already tried bleeding the pressure out of the keg and reapplying pressure but to no avail.

So what's up here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
Joeywhat
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I just opened up the keg to see what was going on and I noticed the temp inside the keg was COLD. My breath was freezing just above the main opening.

Would being so cold cause this? I've got my controller set at 42* which puts it down to 38* at the coldest. I don't know why my keg would be so cold while the freezer itself isn't that bad (moisture inside isn't even freezing).

Old 01-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Joeywhat
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

On my own, eh?

Oh well...found the problem. The dip tube had a hole in it. Can't see it, but dunking it in some water showed me right where it was. It was high up on the tube, but low enough that I had to pull a few pints before it was no longer submersed in beer.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
DrDirt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you check the dip tube? There may be a small hole in it about half way up causing it to pull in co2 from the head space. *smart a$$ grin*
seriously, none of us would have figured that out, glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply