Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Weird foam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Weird foam

I have been kegging for about a year now, and ever since I started, I noticed something weird with my beers... The head on the beer seems to clump. Now what caught my attention, is that I bought a keg of Shorts Bellaire Brown, and it doesn't do that. So, my assumption is that there is way too much proteins - but every style of beer? Seems unlikely. But what then? Anyone have any ideas? There are no off flavors or unusual color characteristics...just clumpy foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What do you clean/sanitize kegs with ?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
BigB
Recipes 

Clean with oxyclean free. Rinse thoroughly. Then add starsan and drain.

Quote:

Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I've experienced this as well. I chalk it up to the fact that I don't bother to properly clean my glasses. I make beer with fantastic head retention, but that head doesn't much care to sit next to my glasses that have jet-dry or detergent residue on them. Try cleaning your glassware thoroughly and then rinsing over and over with painfully hot water.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I've experienced this as well. I chalk it up to the fact that I don't bother to properly clean my glasses. I make beer with fantastic head retention, but that head doesn't much care to sit next to my glasses that have jet-dry or detergent residue on them. Try cleaning your glassware thoroughly and then rinsing over and over with painfully hot water.
I thought that, but I don't have problems when I drink commercial beers out of the same glasses. I'm starting to think that maybe it is something to do with the kegs themselves... like I'm not rinsing them well enough. The reason I say this, is because I mentioned that Short's Bellaire Brown, but I bought that keg from them... they cleaned and sanitized it and filled it... I just tapped it. Plus since I only seem to have problems from the other kegged beers, I doubt its my pre-kegging process or the lines/faucets. Maybe I should try to use Brewery Wash instead of oxyclean free for the next couple beers to see if it makes a difference.

Quote:

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Hmm, let me know- I thought PBW was fairly similar to oxyfree, but I know there are some extra ingredients. I wash my kegs thoroughly every time they kick so I don't think cleanliness is the issue.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Cerevisaphile
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have the exact same problem with all of my beers. I though maybe it was something in my mashing process, but I also use oxyclean free and starsan on my kegs. I remember hearing in an interview that pbw has a surfactant that oxy doesn't have, so maybe some leftover residue is causing this.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I thought that, but I don't have problems when I drink commercial beers out of the same glasses. I'm starting to think that maybe it is something to do with the kegs themselves... like I'm not rinsing them well enough. The reason I say this, is because I mentioned that Short's Bellaire Brown, but I bought that keg from them... they cleaned and sanitized it and filled it... I just tapped it. Plus since I only seem to have problems from the other kegged beers, I doubt its my pre-kegging process or the lines/faucets. Maybe I should try to use Brewery Wash instead of oxyclean free for the next couple beers to see if it makes a difference.
It seems unlikely to me is is a keg issue but you could try using the "Oxy" with cold water and rinse with hot to make sure there is no residue left in them... also useless and soak longer ...

What king of taps are you using "Cobra-Heads" or Taps... Cobra-heads should be OPENED all the way or they cause foam...

Are you using a lot of wheat in you beers? If so cut it back and see what happens...

My best beer recently had no wheat in it and I still got great Head Retention

Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
It seems unlikely to me is is a keg issue but you could try using the "Oxy" with cold water and rinse with hot to make sure there is no residue left in them... also useless and soak longer ...

What king of taps are you using "Cobra-Heads" or Taps... Cobra-heads should be OPENED all the way or they cause foam...

Are you using a lot of wheat in you beers? If so cut it back and see what happens...

My best beer recently had no wheat in it and I still got great Head Retention
Perlicks... The foam is not excessive, just clumpy. Looks like the Atlantic ice sheet in spring. I rarely use wheat. Head retention is not the problem... just funny foam clumps. Maybe tonight I'll take a photo.

Quote:

Quick Reply