Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > This weeks brew attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
smorris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default This weeks brew attempt

I thought I would make something a little darker for the wife. She likes darker beers and I prefer the pale ales, although we agree that we both like nut brown ales. So we chatted with the LHBS guru and came up with this recipe. We'll see how it turns out but I suspect it will be a bit darker that I care for, neither SWMBO nor I like real hoppy beer, so the Mt Hood should work there.

Breiss CBW Sparkling Amber LME
Briess CBW Traditional Dark LME

Crystal 8 oz
Cara-Pils 8oz
Choc Malt 4 oz
Cara Munich 4 oz

Mount Hood Hops – 2oz

London Ale Yeast WLP013

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Sasquatch

Recipes 

To quote a friend of mine, that sounds like it's gonna be darker than the inside of a cow.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 01-09-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Odd choice of hops for a brown (IMHO). It strikes me as as too spicey and aromatic. I generally use Fuggles & EKG and less than an oz. I guess if you use half for bittering and half for flavor and no aroma addition, it might work.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply