Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Wee Heavy Tastes Like Solvent, Now What (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/wee-heavy-tastes-like-solvent-now-what-357172/)

kkimmes 09-27-2012 03:38 PM

Wee Heavy Tastes Like Solvent, Now What
 
I am a newbie to All-grain brewing. I did my 4th batch the other day. I do not have an immersion chiller yet and I am still relying on the ice water in our laundry room sink for cooling the wort. I also just began learning the importance of using a yeast starter.

Long story short, I made a wee heavy about 8 weeks ago. The OG was 1.086. I was very happy about my OG given my rookie status with All-Grain.

Unfortunately, it took about 45 minutes to cool my wort and I only pitched on back of Wyeast into the wort. The LHBS was out of Scotch Ale Wyeast and they recommended I use the ESB Wyeast as they felt it was nearly the same.

I kegged the brew last week and it has very strong solvent notes and is almost undrinkable.

Do I leave it kegged for another 5 months and hope for the best or do I scrap this batch?

keesh 09-27-2012 03:44 PM

Well 2 months is pretty young, so I'd let it mature. The solvent-y properties will probably go away with time. For next time, you need a starter for a wort that big!

Irrenarzt 09-27-2012 03:44 PM

Sit on it. Time may resolve it somewhat.

kkimmes 09-27-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keesh (Post 4449324)
For next time, you need a starter for a wort that big!

Lessoned learned, I have a stirplate mixing my starter as I type this. :)

Gameface 09-27-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkimmes (Post 4449295)
I am a newbie to All-grain brewing. I did my 4th batch the other day. I do not have an immersion chiller yet and I am still relying on the ice water in our laundry room sink for cooling the wort. I also just began learning the importance of using a yeast starter.

Long story short, I made a wee heavy about 8 weeks ago. The OG was 1.086. I was very happy about my OG given my rookie status with All-Grain.

Unfortunately, it took about 45 minutes to cool my wort and I only pitched on back of Wyeast into the wort. The LHBS was out of Scotch Ale Wyeast and they recommended I use the ESB Wyeast as they felt it was nearly the same.

I kegged the brew last week and it has very strong solvent notes and is almost undrinkable.

Do I leave it kegged for another 5 months and hope for the best or do I scrap this batch?

I make a lot of ESBs (pretty much 10g a month for the last few years). I just made my first Scottish Ale. Mine was an 80 shilling with an O.G. of 1.045 and I used the Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast.

Anyway, my point. I don't have it kegged and carbed yet but from the sample I can say that the Scottish Ale yeast made a big difference. The ingredients are very similar between it and the ESBs I make, but the Scottish has a slightly smokey aroma (I didn't use any smoked malt) that is NOT present in my ESBs. It's my understanding that this smokey character is the signature of a Scottish Ale and I don't think you'll get it from an ESB yeast.

keesh 09-27-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkimmes (Post 4449335)
Lessoned learned, I have a stirplate mixing my starter as I type this. :)

Good, make sure to aerate as much as possible as well (the only way to over-aerate is if you're using pure O2) and to regulate your fermentation temps. The latter is just as, if not more, important than pitching rates IMO.

kkimmes 09-27-2012 04:11 PM

I stir the heck out of my cooled wort using a sterlized whisk. I usually get a good response on the CO2 activity in the fermenter. My other all-grains have turned out really well, this is my first failure.
Also, I have a very nice cool basement and a temp gauge on my fermenter. I hold a very solid 66 F during fermenting.

kkimmes 09-28-2012 08:55 AM

Another note, my LHBS insisted that there would be no taste difference between the scotch ale yeast versus the ESB yeast. I trusted him, but question if I should have.

Slipgate 09-28-2012 10:59 AM

Scotch Ale yeast is tough. The only batch I ever gave away in its entirety was a Scotch Ale. Too bad you can't distill it.

PapsD 09-29-2012 09:08 PM

I'd say just wait. The flavor will improve in a few months.

I've brewed a few high gravity brews one had an OG of 1.086 and had a solvent/boozy flavor for 6 months. But was kegged after 2 months. and the other had an OG of 1.1 and had a distinct solvent/boozy flavor for about the first 4 months but was legged after a 1 month primary and 3 months in secondary @ fermentation temperatures. Both were made with US-05. But I pitched onto yeast cakes from a previous batch.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.