Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wee Heavy sucked water from blow off!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
BJBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wee Heavy sucked water from blow off!

Well last weekend I took my family camping and let my Wee Heavy Scotch ale sit in my brew room at 70 deg. Well the AC went out that while we were gone. When we got back on sunday the house was 90 deg. The Wee Heavy was pretty much done fermenting when we left. So I freaked and suck the fermenter in the frig and craked the temp down, the next day I noticed that water from the jug that the blow off hose was in was empty. I thought maybe my daughter for some reason knocked it over. Keep in mind this is in my now 36 deg frig. So I filled the jug up with some sanitized water. 5 min later I noticed the water coming up the hose into the fermenter. So my only quess would be that the cold from the frig made some kind of vaccum and sucked the water into my Wee Heavy! Dam! It wasnt alot of water and it was sanitized, plus my wee heavy is close to 8% abv. My question is what to do know? It was only about 1/2 a cup of water so... can I dryhop it with some hallertau to over power any off flavor? Can you dryhop a Wee Heavy? I dont think the brew is ruined, just worried that it might need a little extra something to make up for the extra water. Any suggestion will help! Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1/2 cup water aint gonna phase yer Wee Heavy Ladie, proceed as planned. It was the contraction of cooled beer that sucked the water in.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Agreed, 1/2 cup won't bother you at all. I did something similar on my first batch. I was holding my better bottle, and set it down so that the the blow-off tube landed in the water. Holding the bottle compressed it, as I let go the sides expanded and sucked the water right in.

This is why I really like the three piece airlocks, you can't suck liquid backwards (as long as you don't overfill).

Quick Reply