Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wedding Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
theCougfan97
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Wedding Brew

I am getting married in just over a year. I want to brew the beer for the wedding, probably 3 kinds, 6 total corny kegs. Has anyone else tried this? The biggest hurdle at this point appears to be the venue. I am allowed to arrange for my own bartender and alcohol services but the venue mentions not allowing kegs. Any thoughts on how I can convince these killjoys that my corny kegs of homebrew are different than a "keg" of beer. Otherwise I will be bottling and storing something like 280 bottles, and dealing with the likelihood that people will be turned off by the sediment found in homebrew bottles.

Wazzu taught me everything I need to know, primarily my appreciation for beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Congrats!
I think the best you can do is to tell them exactly what you posted above. And it helps to talk to the boss. At least in my experience, the contact person isn't the one who can make the decisions on stuff like that.

And I'll throw out names I've seen on other wedding threads, just for fun.
Wit Wedding
For Richer or for Porter
Hoppily Ever After

EDIT: Something Borrowed, Something Brewed

Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 211

If it were me, I'd say you will be serving out of a nice Jockey Box in pint or half pint wedding glasses. Less trash and clean up. You can hide the jockey box and just have the tap sticking out. You can bottle beer off keg without yeast at the bottom of of the bottle, but it would take a long time. You want that day to be as easy as possible. This is a good reason to get another toy. But not a crappy cooler like this.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
theCougfan97
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Yea this is an excellent opportunity/excuse to build a sweet jockey box, I think that cooler is wedding ready. The issue remains "no kegs allowed", I need creative reasoning for the venue's staff to allow home brew kegs.

Wazzu taught me everything I need to know, primarily my appreciation for beer.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
cavalrymsh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I was thinking new gear as well, but more along the lines of the Beer Gun. With that you can start playing with labels and themes. Tho kegs would obviously be a heckuva lot less trouble and time.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Doongie
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I would approach them carefully, and nonchalantly ask about why no kegs. You may find they have a written policy that is not always enforced. They probably had a party at one time that got out of hand, and the policy is a reaction to a bad experience. Possibly they have preconceived notions about parties with kegs getting out of hand. Is there a University nearby? Also, remember, they run events, they probably have a good idea how much beer and drink the average crowd consumes.

Either way, I can't think it's going to be easy. What you are talking about is 6 cornies, that's a full barrel, or two half barrel kegs. That's gonna seem like a lot of beer to them, and if they fall prey to preconceived notions about homebrew, it will all be high octane moonshine, not the low grade common beer they are used to seeing. You probably have two hills to climb here.

You may be able to rationalize it by doing the math and pointing out they would allow you to bring 13 cases of beer in bottles, but not 6 cornies? Depending on how many people you have, 13 cases will be considered a lot too.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The place that I'm getting married at this year also has a no keg policy because they say it's always messy. Leaky tubs, water stains, etc. You might be alright with talking to the head hancho and how you'd be serving it. There's a reason they don't want kegs, avoid it and I bet you'd be alright.

(I made three brews for my wedding in Nov...the porter I've made a million times tastes like crap, the Censored clone is "tinny" and I have my first infected batch in one of my Zombie Dust carboys...)

Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Supurb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Agreed - you'll have to find the reason for no kegs and then assure them whatever the issue is... won't be one. Obviously grease the guy with with a sixer if possible. If that doesn't work then tell him that you'll arm wrestle him for it. If its still a no go then maybe you can skate around by bottling in growlers and then serving in cups.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I brewed 8 beers for my wedding. All was bottled. I onyl took right around half of what I had and most all of it was drank.

As for legality, I don't have a clue as it depends on the state, that and I had my wedding at a private residence and not a business.

Abomination - Scarlet and Cream Pale Ale - Out of Season White Nectarine IPA - Summer Session #3
Primary/Secondary
Hipster Pumpkin Squash Ale; Ominous Cranberry Dark Saison

Quick Reply