Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ways to make my homebrew better for less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ways to make my homebrew better for less

By suggestions on making my beer better for less. I know it's pretty broad, but maybe the little things. Like making it very clear

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmcogar View Post
By suggestions on making my beer better for less. I know it's pretty broad, but maybe the little things. Like making it very clear
Are you using all-grain, partial mash, or extract methods?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Partial mash. I am trying to get into all grain soon though. I have a keg I just need to get all the add ons. I'm a cheap bastard though so its hard for me to spend $70 on a mash tun kit for a keggle and then another $30 on a thermometer and sight glass

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

You could look into BIAB, assuming you already have a good size boil kettle. If you do this you can go AG, buy yourself a mill and then start buying your grain in bulk. Over time the savings of buying bulk will cover the cost of your mill and start saving you some cash.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Partial mash. I am trying to get into all grain soon though. I have a keg I just need to get all the add ons. I'm a cheap bastard though so its hard for me to spend $70 on a mash tun kit for a keggle and then another $30 on a thermometer and sight glass
You don't need a keggle, or a sight glass to brew all grain.
I have a turkey fryer, and a cooler mash tun.
I don't think I have more then $50 invested in my all grain "system"
take a look at this
Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Cheap and Easy Batch Sparging

Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Partial mash makes a great beer! Try to mash as much grain as you can in your system, and that will both save money and make great beer.

Washing and reusing yeast can save a ton of money. Controlling fermentation temperatures can be cheap and easy, by using a cooler with a water bath and a frozen water bottle or two to cool it, or an aquarium heater to warm it. Taking care of your yeast by using quality yeast in the correct quantity and at the correct temperature will improve the beer greatly and cost nothing.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

do a search for swamp cooler. You use it to maintain a good fermentation temperature. You should also check out the diy section as there are a lot of cheap gadgets in there.

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

holy post flurry batman....

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
jgerard
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceL
You could look into BIAB, assuming you already have a good size boil kettle. If you do this you can go AG, buy yourself a mill and then start buying your grain in bulk. Over time the savings of buying bulk will cover the cost of your mill and start saving you some cash.
I do biab and get by with my smaller pot by splitting the boil and doing the hops all in one of them. It makes great beer, I will never get a mash tun.

2 five gallin paint straining bags are only a few dollars @ hardware stores. I've used mine probably a dozen times.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
postalbunny
Recipes 

Look up "yeast washing". If you reuse yeast you'll save $3-8 per batch depending on what your brewing. Even if you use yeast only twice, you cut the cost in half.

Quick Reply