Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Water for home brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
apo09283
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water for home brew

I was wondering how many home brewers have to boil their water before adding it to the fermenter. I used to live in Ipswich England and now live in eastern WA. In both locations my water quality and taste have been excellent straight from the tap. I have never boiled my water and never had a bad batch in 18 years of brewing.
Bill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The main purpose for boiling the water is to kill off any baddies not change the flavor. I run my mash water through a brita filter but only to get rid of the chlorine taste. When I did extract I used to use straight tap water into the fermenter too.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Bottled spring water when I did extract, but tap water for my all grain beers (the boil precludes the necessity for pre-boiling).

Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm not sure about your question. Personally, I use reverse osmosis water from the grocery store, but it's boiled for an hour or more, just like all water is boiled when wort is made. Do you mean boil the water and then cool it before brewing, to get the minerals to precipitate?

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

People boil water prior to using to rid it of chlorine. Chloramines, however, are more stable and do not react to the boil. Many people use campden tablets to get rid of chloramine.

I brew AG and I don't treat my water nor do I preboil. I'm debating if I want to start and I'm waiting for my last batch to bottle condition before I decide. I live north of Pittsburgh and my tap water does have a slight chlorine taste so I'm thinking I could at least carbon filter it.

Last edited by Scut_Monkey; 07-20-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #6
MarshyTheKid
Recipes 

From eastern WA also and never boiled or filtered. Never really thought about killing the bacteria first.
And I would never use bottled water. Its quite frankly bs. Its city water, ran through a filter(if any), bottled, labeled, and price cranked up.

Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Bridgeport IPA Clone(Kegged on 09/27/09, 5.5%)
Keg 2: St. Feuillien Abbey Ale(Kegged 07/20/09, 7.8%)
Bottled: Espresso Stout(Bottled on: 10/25/08), Boddington's Bitter(Bottled on: 10/10/09, 3.5%), Graff(Bottled on: 10/21/09, 8.0%)

Old 07-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some bottled water is indeed tap water, but not all.

If I liked the taste of my tap water, I'd use it.

The stuff I use is Magnetic Springs spring water. For 86 cents a gallon, I'm very happy with it.

From their website:

Quote:
Spring Water

Spring Water is defined as: Water derived from an underground formation from which the water flows naturally to the surface of the earth. Spring water shall be collected only at the spring or through a borehole tapping the underground formation feeding the spring. There shall be a natural force causing the water to flow to the surface through a natural orifice. The location of the spring shall be identified and such identification shall be maintained in the company's records.

Magnetic Springs spring water source is from multiple protected springs located in Southern Ohio. It is carefully processed in our plant through a 5 Micron Filter and the Ozonation process. Our Spring Water comes in 1 Gallon, 2.5 Gallon and 5 Gallon sizes.

Quick Reply