*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > water help needed....brewing in the morning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
brokebucket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default water help needed....brewing in the morning

I am brewing an ESB from extract in the morning using RO water. I thought I had the right chemicals, but now I am not so sure. I have Calcium Carbonate and gypsum. Looks like I need Calcium Chloride reading the water chemistry primer.

Any help?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 329

calcium chloride and gypsum are the two key things to have..... However, for an ESB, gypsum is more important than Calcium chloride. I am not familiar with calcium carbonate.... so hopefully someone else will pipe in on that.

One thing you could do is to use 1 gram of gypsum per gallon of mash water and .2 grams canning salt per gallon of mash water (same for sparge water on both). That would get you close on your calcium, sulfate and chloride.... assuming youa re using 100% RO water. I ran those through Bru'n Water with 100% RO water. Not perfect, but should get you a solid water profile for an ESB.
Maybe others have some better thoughts?

Primary: Heady Topper Clone, Double Citra IPA, Munich Helles
Secondary/Lagering: Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Bourbon Barrel Porter
Future Brews: Bo-Pilsner, Porter, APA, American Brown, Oatmeal Stout, Schwarzbier #2, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 06-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Don't add anything to your water. The extract has already been mashed, adding salts won't do anything. Quality extract is usually brewed with a suitable water profile. Plus you have no idea what your starting profile is so you could easily end up with way too much.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Water additions are for all grain brews to hit flavor and mash pH targets. Extracts already have the required minerals.

Go straight RO with extract beers.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
brokebucket
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Alright, getting a cup of coffee in me and checking the boards before I fire up the burner. Thanks for the help, straight RO water it is.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 329

+1.... sorry, did not see that you said "extract" - as stated above, no additions needed with extract as minerals are in the extract itself. You are good to go with straight RO.

Primary: Heady Topper Clone, Double Citra IPA, Munich Helles
Secondary/Lagering: Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Bourbon Barrel Porter
Future Brews: Bo-Pilsner, Porter, APA, American Brown, Oatmeal Stout, Schwarzbier #2, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Quick Reply