Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Water hardness test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
gclay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Water hardness test

I got some hardness test strips today to check my water. I have a 5 micron filter on my cold so I figured I'd test that first, well...... The strips only go as high as 425ppm, and I maxed it out, even with a filter. We're in a new subdivision, the house is only 1 year old, I expected to see soft water but wow. I guess I'll have to buy a finer filter. Will that help or should I just start brewing with RO water?

You bring 1 purple crayon to class and they stick you on the short bus!! - Theresa Stanton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Chrisl77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any sediment filter will not remove hardness from the water. Hardness is from dissolved solids in the water mainly calcium and magnesium. An RO filter will by only allowing water molecules to pass the membrane filter in it, and a water softner will through ion exchange.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply