The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Water, Grains, Yeast ratios

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
chewse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Water, Grains, Yeast ratios

I’m a really, really rookie homebrewer with only one completed batch of beer up to this point. I know I need to get many more “notches on my belt” before I can even sound somewhat intelligent.

But, until then, I think I have some latitude in asking a few dumb questions. The recipes I’m accumulating are “sized” for a homebrew application; i.e., 5 gallon wort. Thinking about how the same recipe would work for a commercial grade microbrewery, are the rations of water, grain, yeast, etc. proportional to the homebrew recipe? For instance, if the targeted wort for a batch at a microbrewery is 10 bbls (360 gallons), would the recipe simply be in the same proportion as the homebrew recipe for 5 gallon wort?

If it doesn’t work this way, is there a source(s) which may have this kind of info?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1701 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 3472

It definitely works this way, just have to divide down to the right amount of beer you want to brew

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

if you are doing all grain the recipes will scale the same but you need to take mash efficiency into consideration which is why you'll often see recipes posted as percentages and not just weights. each brewer will get a different mash efficiency (amount of sugar extracted from the grain) which is most often a result of the crush but is impacted by other factors as well

also - each brewer will use different water:grain ratios for their mash depending on system design, dead space, type of sparge (fly vs batch) etc - so it's usually best to make small modifications to recipes to fit best into your system at home

Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Psycotte
Psychotic Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't larger batches hopped at a different ratio due to hops utilization? I forgot if large batches used more or less hops but I could swear there was a difference...

Primary #1: Turn the Paige Apfelwein
Primary #2: Brutally Brown Ale
Primary #3: Empty and Sad...
Next Up: Thinking....

Untappd: Psycotte
My Untappd brewery
Psychotic Brewing Co.
Brewer's Friend Profile: Curt Cicotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMeDuffMan

You can never be wrong in hating the cowgirls.
Ever.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
chewse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply