Water Filter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some friends of mine have this counter-top filter that attaches to the faucet with a small nozzle and a small hose runs to the filter - and the filter unit itself takes the big whole-house filters, which means it ought to handle a LOT of water between filter changes. The under-sink filters seem pretty nice too, I'd have one but in an apartment I can't go drilling the sink to mount the little filtered water faucet.

I think it was in the $40 price range though, are you looking for something basic or some fancy expensive unit like reverse osmosis?

Well, I had to get a system, and I got a Pur filter that attaches to the faucet. The first filter cartridge lasted 4 months before requiring a new one- $20. It does the job just fine, and despite being attached to the faucet, never really gets in my way. I think I paid 30 bucks for the housing, which came with a filter cartridge, and installed it in 5 minutes. There may be better ways to do it, but this has worked just fine for me.

Since I already have a "whole house" filter for clarifying beer, I'd just get adapters and swap in an activated charcoal filter for water.

I picked up the whole house style housings at Walmart. I daisy chained them together with a nipple and run a spun sediment filter in the first one and a charcoal in the other. Incidentally, I did run mine as a whole house filter so I can get my brewing water from any faucet. However, I do have to change out the filters about every two months. There's no reason you can't put hose fittings on the input/output to use it only when brewing.

I was thinking of that Bobby. Reality is that I might as well filter the whole house if I am buying the filters. Maybe then SWMBO will quit buying bottled water. I have to do something. I am buying 5 gallons of spring water (or 10g for a 10g batch) and doing the rest with tap water. At $5.50 (or $11). I hate to pay that much for water and don’t feel real good about the tap water that I do use.

My advice, buy the BIG whole house (~$50) instead of the normal one (~$30).

The box recommends the big one for houses with 1" plumbing and the little one for 3/4" plumbing. I have the little one, and it restricts flow enough that it's noticeable when two faucets are open, and annoying low volume when 3 are open.

Yeah, my big decision for filtering the whole house is the $40 filters they sell for my fridge's icemaker water dispenser. I opened up that filter housing and gutted an old filter. Now I can replace the two whole house cartridges for less than $10.

I use one of the ones that is meant to be mounted on the sink with the little thin spigot.... but I didn't mount it. Instead the nice hook shape allows me to hang the spigot on a carboy or bucket or cooler (MLT) or boil pot so I can fill them without having to lift them in and out of a sink.

Latest posts

Back