Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Water boiling question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
spinnaker305
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water boiling question

Hello All. I’m getting ready to brew a “Fireside Ale” from William’s Brewing. The instructions say to boil 4 to 5 gallons of water for the brewing process and I don’t have a pot big enough for that. I can only get about 3 to 4 gallons in the pot that I currently have. 4 to 5 gallons would be pushing it because it wouldn't leave enough room for a good rolling boil or room for the foam to rise during the boil. Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on using 3 to 4 gallons versus the recommended 4 to 5 gallons.

(Time to buy a new pot )

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
davesrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd use 3 gallons for extract brewing. With that, you won't get boil over with your current pot...and it'll be easier to cool your wort with cold top off water.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply