Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Water from blow off tube back into fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
jpc8015
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Water from blow off tube back into fermenter

I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout right before Christmas. I let it ferment at about 68 degrees for almost three weeks. At that point I had to leave town on an extended business trip. My wife did not want the fermenter full of beer hanging around in the closet while I was gone so I moved the whole bucket out into the garage. I left the blow off tube in place.

The end of the blow off tube was in a plastice jug that had maybe two pints of water in it. No sanitizing agents...just plain water. I was talking to her on the phone the other day and she told me that there was no water in the jug. As best I can gather what must ave happened is that the cooler temps in the garage caused the air in the fermenter to contract causing a bit of vacuum. This vacuum then sucked the water back into the fermenter through the blow off tube.

What are the chances that my beer is ruined? I had my wife immediately put water back into the jug but I am afraid the damage may be done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
xfevv
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're probably ok. There's always a chance of contamination but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Taste it and see what you think, if it tastes good drink it, if not let it sit a while and see if age changes anything.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I bet your fine. You could probably drop a mouse in a big RIS and the yeast would eat it!

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
jpc8015
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout View Post
I bet your fine. You could probably drop a mouse in a big RIS and the yeast would eat it!
It was a big one too...1.10 OG.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had something similar happen: it was hot enough that the water in the bucket evaporated and the tube was clipped to the side (leaving the tube open to the air). I totally freaked out that my beer would be ruined, but it turned out just fine.

Quick Reply