Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Watching my LHBS go down the tubes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Watching my LHBS go down the tubes

I have only been in this new hobby for about 6 months, and only deal with one brew shop, but I have already seen them going down hill in service. I know from talking with the owner that it is not all his fault. The big warehouses are in the US and it is killing him to get supplies up to Canada, I agree with that. But since I started brewing he has moved location, to a new larger store. Great, now he can hide the brewing gear behind even more Dungeons and Dragons stuff. Service was fairly good before, would go out of his way to get what they don't carry, now I have been told twice that they are not special ordering anything. Refuses to carry StarSan because it can be reused, only carries Iodaphore. Sure it still works, but after using StarSan, it is hard to go back. I like the foam. We have Home Brew wine shops popping up on every corner, but the only respectable beer shop is racing down the wrong side of the hill. And looking at all the great shops that I would love to order online from (NB) will not be taking Canadian orders.
Sigh...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Maybe you should go to some of the wine shops and convince them to carry beer stuff as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Or see this as a hell of an opportunity to start your own business.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
lurker18

Recipes 

Would love to start my own business, but not knowing the community of brewers here is holding that back, as well as a young family and a big mortgage. I think there is definately a place for a HBS with a main business as a beer brewing supply shop, but the rental space for business here is fairly tight, unless you want to get into the "you will get shot and robbed" neighborhoods.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shot and robbed... in Winnipeg? Your bad parts are probably like our good parts in Cleveland!

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 11-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
lurker18

Recipes 

We are the highest per capital murder capital in Canada. I know that may not be saying much compared to some places elsewhere, we have our areas in town that you just avoid.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
JZinNM
Recipes 

You might consider talking to some of the brewers at your local microbreweries. They may be willing to sell you ingredients. At the same prices as the LHBS, they would be making a decent profit and their ingredients are likely much fresher.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Does brewmasters warehouse ship to canada?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker18 View Post
I have only been in this new hobby for about 6 months, and only deal with one brew shop, but I have already seen them going down hill in service. I know from talking with the owner that it is not all his fault. The big warehouses are in the US and it is killing him to get supplies up to Canada, I agree with that. But since I started brewing he has moved location, to a new larger store. Great, now he can hide the brewing gear behind even more Dungeons and Dragons stuff. Service was fairly good before, would go out of his way to get what they don't carry, now I have been told twice that they are not special ordering anything. Refuses to carry StarSan because it can be reused, only carries Iodaphore. Sure it still works, but after using StarSan, it is hard to go back. I like the foam. We have Home Brew wine shops popping up on every corner, but the only respectable beer shop is racing down the wrong side of the hill. And looking at all the great shops that I would love to order online from (NB) will not be taking Canadian orders.
Sigh...
That blows.

My dad had to buy his stuff from the local plumber when we lived in Kenora...but that was 10 years ago...

Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Freddy57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewmasters warehouse does ship to Canada. You will have to pay the full freight, but they have great stuff at decent prices.

Quick Reply