Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wanting to travel to Oregon brewers festival

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
Cheektronic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wanting to travel to Oregon brewers festival

Wanted to take at least one day to visit a brewery. Which day during the festival is the slowest and what would be the best brewery tour around downtown?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
nsmills83
Recipes 

Are you suggesting that you want to go to a brewery when the fest is slow? I would recommend the opposite. Saturday is way too busy to enjoy the fest.

I recommend cascade barrelhouse for your day off. Then walk to any of the numerous breweries or tap houses nearby. Not sure where if your looking to tour a brewery though.

Enjoy and welcome to our lovely city!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The only real brewery tour in shouting distance of downtown would likely be Widmer in inner NE, near the Rose Garden. Large brewery, and a popular tour but I haven't been on it, only heard good things.
I would agree with staying away on the busiest day, Saturday. Enjoy the slower times, because the busy ones are challenging dealing with crowds and getting a pour. I'll second Cascade too, generally a dozen sour beers on tap there at all times. Hair of the Dog is not far, as is the Green Dragon and Burnside Brewing.
Enjoy the visit, and check out all the breweries in Portland and nearby. There's only about 40.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Here's the beer list, too:
http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/index2.php?p=beers

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Cheektronic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good point about avoiding the busy day. I don't necessarily have to go on a brewery tour, but I'd like to know the cool beer relates places to go. I think I might stay at the paramount hotel since it looks to be within walking/stumbling distance of the festival.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Get there as early as possible on the first day, and avoid the weekend. Hopefully Dogfishhead sends something that doesn't taste like Robitussin this year.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Get there as early as possible on the first day, and avoid the weekend. Hopefully Dogfishhead sends something that doesn't taste like Robitussin this year.
Amen on both counts. Last year's beer was horrible. Buckley's-cough-syrup bad. (google it)

Also, I've had good luck on the Sunday. Friday + Saturday are the worst days.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
cjb
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Paramount is nice, pretty central to everything downtown. Though you'd be even closer if you did something right by the waterfront like the Marriott. If you don't mind a bit of a walk, you can easily get from downtown across the river to Cascade, Green Dragon, Lucky Lab, etc. and Sassy's

If you want cheap but hip, check out the Jupiter on East Burnside. Also close enough to the above, plus Burnside Brewing. and Union Jack's

Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
The Paramount is nice, pretty central to everything downtown. Though you'd be even closer if you did something right by the waterfront like the Marriott. If you don't mind a bit of a walk, you can easily get from downtown across the river to Cascade, Green Dragon, Lucky Lab, etc. and Sassy's

If you want cheap but hip, check out the Jupiter on East Burnside. Also close enough to the above, plus Burnside Brewing. and Union Jack's
lol, good suggestions. The Motel 6 on Powell is about as cheap as it gets in Portland, and is next to HUB and Safari and is an easy bus ride to OBF.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I went last year for the first time. It sucked. Super crowded and none of the servers knew anything about the beer they were pouring, they were just event staff. I'll never go again.

Your time would be way better spent visiting as many tap houses and breweries as you can. It's a shame because the Oregon Fest could be way better. In comparison, the Washington fest may have a little less taps but you get to actually meet the brewers and the venue is way better.

Quick Reply