Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Want to start a homebrew club - don't know how to start

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default Want to start a homebrew club - don't know how to start

Fellow homebrewers,

I want to start a local homebrew club. I know several people who brew and are interested in the idea, but really, I don't know how to start or even what most homebrew clubs do! Could some of you tell me the kinds of things you do at club meetings, what kind of special events you have, and any other advice you might have?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Brewing Network did a podcast about how to start a brew club. I would start there.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions
johnholzer Likes This 
Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We have a newish club with mostly new brewers 9about 8 months old now??). It's more of a drink fest but that is not a bad thing. I believe we are evolving and I have noticed the brews are getting better abd better with time.

I think we have a core of perhaps 8 people but each months meeting brings in the 15ish people and a LOT of homebrew. Some good some bad.

So - you can be formal with presentations but I believe just take it slow and let the club develop it's own rhythm.

I love talking about homebrews and tasting other peoples brews. Just have a time and place and tell people to bring some of there brew and maybe their recipe and go from there.

OH - we now have our own kits tha that are selling in a LHBS and next summer we're having a homebrew fest for the town.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You need at least a dozen members and a different guy each month is the "bachelor". You drink homebrew and tip the strippers very well.

I would think hosting and entering competitions would be one of the more valuable aspects of a club. It would be a good way to push yourself to brew better beer and brew more often. So, you discuss the upcoming styles, bring in commercial samples, brew to style, evaluate each other's beers, win competitions - sounds like a good time to me.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Competitions, both in-club and open.
Beer fests
Technical lectures
Brewery visits
Road trips (in buses)

and sometimes we share a drop or two.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

1. Find a location for regular meetings. I think you'll get more people showing up over time if it's the same location and same time each month. A lot of drinking establishments are really slow at night during the week and it's mutually beneficial for everyone involved.

2. Name the club and register with the AHA.

3. Start brewing for the AHA club only competitions and enter any AHA competitions with your brew club name on your entries.

4. Get a website.

5. Buy a wine/bourbon barrel and brew something cool once you get like 8 members regular.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
People Like This 
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

I really dislike competitions. By brew club is looking into AHA club only competitions which forces people to all think alike in a structured way and it is common knowledge that bigger beers normally win in competitions.

I'm all for big beers but I rarely see a brew on the low side of OG win when matched up in style against bigger beers.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
bottleopener
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hmm...

got some friends?

got a porch?

got some beer?

boom, homebrew club.

I'm going to sneak in with the flowers and look innocent.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
sethful
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm with bottleopener....
start getting your buddies involved and grow from there.

Rule 1: you don't talk about brew club...
Rule 2....

~Seth

Accidentally Good Brewing
Bloomington, IL

Reason: cause I'm retarded.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I really dislike competitions. By brew club is looking into AHA club only competitions which forces people to all think alike in a structured way and it is common knowledge that bigger beers normally win in competitions.

I'm all for big beers but I rarely see a brew on the low side of OG win when matched up in style against bigger beers.
It's a shame that you have that all decided already. One of our members won Best of Show at a recent comp with a Pilsener. They also give golds to ordinary bitters, milds and american light lagers. Comps might be a little biased towards one style or another or caricatures of styles but it's judge dependent. Also, it's a great opportunity for feedback.

You don't have to center a club around comps but stuff like the AHA COC is something only clubs can enter so you'd definitely want to support it.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply