Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Want to get into lager style beers, what type of fridge is used?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Haha didn't notice either, until I looked under your avatar. Yeah It doesn't necessarily need to be a full blown kegerator. Just looking for someplace to keep my keg cool but also allow me to ferment at cold temps. I think I'll just do the chest freezer with temp control.

A picnic tap isn't too small of a beer line? I heard there can be foaming problems if a beer line is not long enough?
Well you can come to my house and I'll pour you a foam-free beer from my picnic tap anytime you like. You get good at it after the first thousand pints! Holding the glass at the right angle is the key.

You should plan to come out to a Winnipeg Brew Bombers meeting sometime--always looking for new members!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well, if you're talking about fermentation temperature it's one thing, lagering temp is another. And if you want it in the same fridge as you're serving beer from, you need to be sure that you like serving your beer at the temps you need to use.

Fermenting lagers is generally in the 48-52 deg F range. Depending on the adjustment range of your kegerator thermostat, its highest temperature might not be that high, and then you're stuck with an external temperature controller.

The lagering phase itself can be done in a standard serving kegerator. Lagering is generally better at lower temps, so I'd try to set it as low as you prefer to serve your beer. If you don't mind serving your beer at 35 degrees and letting it warm in your glass, then I'd shoot for this.

But I generally recommend a fridge dedicated *purely* to fermenting. If you're not temp-controlling your ale fermentation, you should be. Spend less time worrying about over-sizing your kegerator (at higher cost), and get yourself a $50-100 fridge off craigslist and external temp controller to cover your fermentation.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
sean6247
Recipes 

I use a dorm fridge. My plastic bucket fits nicely into the fridge and the internal temp control lets me keep the temp at 50 degrees. Once the primary fermentation is complete, I set the beer in the laundry for a diastyl (not sure about spelling) rest for a couple of days, then off to the keg and kegerator for lagering. Work very well for me.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
cutchemist42
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Well you can come to my house and I'll pour you a foam-free beer from my picnic tap anytime you like. You get good at it after the first thousand pints! Holding the glass at the right angle is the key.

You should plan to come out to a Winnipeg Brew Bombers meeting sometime--always looking for new members!
Yeah I actually came across the Winnipeg Brew Bombers site off a link on the Grape and Grains site. I saw the activities for the club are done for the year but will definitely check it once it gets going again.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Yeah I actually came across the Winnipeg Brew Bombers site off a link on the Grape and Grains site. I saw the activities for the club are done for the year but will definitely check it once it gets going again.
Awesome! Email the president (Mark Borowski) and tell him to keep you in the loop. The club is really going to pick up over the next few years with some good leadership in place. Half Pints is going to host a pro-am competition this year--if you are interested there will be opportunities to help out in various ways with the festivities!

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

cutchemist42 Likes This 

Quick Reply