Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Want to brew more, but have no room

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
avibayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Want to brew more, but have no room

I live with my parents still, and want to start brewing more and more, but we dont have the room for any major set ups. when i say we dont have any room, i mean i dont know where i could put a mini-fridge keggerator.

right now i the bottling/ lack of kegging ability is slowing me down. I am drinking homebrew almost exclusively and as a result dont have that many new bottles coming in. My uncle is nice enough to save up bottles for me, which come to about fifty new bottles every few months. Still, i have batches waiting to be bottled, and not enough bottles to do the job.

kegging seems like the next step, but whats the point of kegging without a way to keep it cold and pour it. what to do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avibayer View Post
I live with my parents still, and want to start brewing more and more, but we dont have the room for any major set ups. when i say we dont have any room, i mean i dont know where i could put a mini-fridge keggerator.

right now i the bottling/ lack of kegging ability is slowing me down. I am drinking homebrew almost exclusively and as a result dont have that many new bottles coming in. My uncle is nice enough to save up bottles for me, which come to about fifty new bottles every few months. Still, i have batches waiting to be bottled, and not enough bottles to do the job.

kegging seems like the next step, but whats the point of kegging without a way to keep it cold and pour it. what to do?
I assume even if you live at your parents house, you have a bedroom. Why don't you just convert a mini fridge (not called dorm fridges for nothing) into a two tap kegerator. I really wanted a keezer, but I didn't have room, so I went with the dual tap mini fridge. I could even fit it into my closet if I needed to.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i thought about that. problem would be having my folks constantly coming into my room for beer.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avibayer View Post
i thought about that. problem would be having my folks constantly coming into my room for beer.
Hey hey, I thought the beer was only for you! If everyone's going to be hittin the tapper, then you all can find a place for it in the family room or something. If they also appreciate a good homebrew I doubt they will be complaining about a keggerator in the living room.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thats what you would think, but outlets and space seem sparce.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
HalfPint
Recipes 

Hmm. I'm thinking that a power strip and moving a table out of the way will work for you man. Think about it. If you get the right mini fridge, two kegs can fit inside of it and your Co2 tank/regulator and lines. It doesn't take up as much room as you would think. I'd say its about the size of an end table. I have a brewing/family hobby room where my kegerator is, but I know a lot of guys have these in one bedroom apartments.

Like I said, these refrigerators aren't called dorm fridges for nothing.

After buying my fridge from Conns scratch and dent and the tap/kegs/Co2 tank/regulator, I think I spent a little under $400. It's a steep investment at first, but oh so worth it.

Then you don't have to use secondaries anymore because you can just transfer from primary into keg and let it condition that way (which frees up some space.)

Old 11-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3692 Times on 2274 Posts
Likes Given: 3196

Time to get your own place. If you are old enough to drink beer you should not be living with your parents.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Well, if you're drinking beer, you should have plenty of empty bottles. Oh, don't get me wrong- I think kegging and homebrew on tap is better than sliced bread. But I bottled the first hundred or so batches, so it's possible. If you each drink two beers a day, that's 6 bottles a day ready to hold "new" homebrew. If you brew twice a month, that's only 110 bottles each month to bottle, while you have 180 being emptied. It's not fun, but it's possible.

BUT- cases of bottles take up much more room than three kegs and a dorm fridge! If you have room to store all those bottles from your uncle, you should have plenty of room for a small fridge. Something just doesn't add up here.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Time to get your own place. If you are old enough to drink beer you should not be living with your parents.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, if you're drinking beer, you should have plenty of empty bottles. Oh, don't get me wrong- I think kegging and homebrew on tap is better than sliced bread. But I bottled the first hundred or so batches, so it's possible. If you each drink two beers a day, that's 6 bottles a day ready to hold "new" homebrew. If you brew twice a month, that's only 110 bottles each month to bottle, while you have 180 being emptied. It's not fun, but it's possible.

BUT- cases of bottles take up much more room than three kegs and a dorm fridge! If you have room to store all those bottles from your uncle, you should have plenty of room for a small fridge. Something just doesn't add up here.
+1

I have actually more space now that I don't bottle much any more. I have most of my bottles in the attic now and only keep about a case with all of my brewing equipment for keg to bottle bottling.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I more than anyone, thinks having my own place would be great. But, since i can not afford rent yet and am still in school, i am stuck at home for the next year. Living with my parents beats having loans to pay off for the next decade.

bottles can be distributed throughout the various cupboards. storing cases of bottles, while equal to the volume of a mini fridge, have the ability to be moved around more easily. a mini-fridge needs an outlet.

I agree with all of the above posts. I would love to have my own place, with a kegging set up. but that is about a year away from happening.

Quick Reply