Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Volume loss to heat/cold break - FRUSTRATING!

View Poll Results: Transfer or avoid getting break material in primary?
Throw it all in -- break and everything 17 60.71%
Avoid as much break material as possible 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Volume loss to heat/cold break - FRUSTRATING!

In my last 3 batches, I've lost 1 gallon, 1 gallon and 0.5 gallons respectively to the hot/cold break trub I've left in the kettle upon racking to the primary. This is very frustrating, especially considering the fact that I am only brewing 3gallon batches .... so I'm losing 1/3 of my batch to trub!

I guess my question is, is this an unavoidable loss or should I just chuck it all into the primary fermenter? If you advocate the latter, then whats the point of getting a good hot break and cold break, if you're just going to throw those proteins into your carboy anyway?

I've tried the whirlpooling thing, stirring the heck out of the wort and then leaving it be for 30mins to form the "protein cone" .... but it never works out ... the proteins just seem too fluffy to want to settle out.

So what I'm doing is racking the clear wort until I start siphoning up the cloudy wort and then I stop. Unfortunately, when I stop -- I've left a gallon of wort in the kettle, which is a considerable proportion of my batch. It's killing me!!

So do you throw it all into the primary, or do you keep as much of the break material out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I strain out hop ,aterial and rack everything else into the fermentor. It settles and packs down better and you lose less than whirlpooling.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

I've repeatedly heard that if you include break proteins in your fermenter, you can get negative effects such as off-flavors, cloudiness in finished product, and poor shelf-life of bottled beer.

Are these anecdotal/hear-say, or do they have scientific merit to them?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
I've repeatedly heard that if you include break proteins in your fermenter, you can get negative effects such as off-flavors, cloudiness in finished product, and poor shelf-life of bottled beer.

Are these anecdotal/hear-say, or do they have scientific merit to them?
No science, but after 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks bottled, a week or so in the fridge, most of my beer presents crystal clear. I have tested a few beers that are more than 6 months and don't notice any problems.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What if you have a sanitized dinner plate about the size of the bottom of the kettle, and set that in there before siphoning?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts

There is also the sanitized stainless steel scrubby/ chore boy pad that you can put over the bottom of the siphon/dip tube. I have not tried this but I have seen others that do this.

As for the hops I suggest using a large fine mesh nylon sack/bag when boiling them, Lifting out a bag is WAY easier than filtering all that crud. Just do not let it touch the bottom of the boil kettle.

Just out of curiosity do you use Irish moss?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Brewing Techniques has some very nice papers on Break Materials. In summary, Hot Break is BAAAAAAD and cold break is, mmm, okay.

I deally you want to leave as much of it behind as possible but by achieving the break in the boil you have broken them out of solution and coagulated them. Same goes for the cold break too. Once coagulated they will flocculate out given enough time.

Sounds like you need better trub management. I for one got tired of all the gimmick, socks, screens, etc that would clog in the kettle and require a damned heat suite toi retreive and clear so, I devised a pre-filter after the kettle using a grant and rice hulls. So far it has worked my system wonders.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Fetus
Recipes 

I have dumped all trub into the carboy for every single batch I've made. I have developed no noticeable off flavors for all of my beer. I have had professional brewers compliment my beer, and never had anyone mention any off flavors. For all of my batches thus far, the beer sits in the carboy for a month, then is racked into a keg.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Hops aren't the problem, I use a hop bag for that....it's just the hot/cold break proteins.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hop bag helps. I usually lose about 2qt to trub, so I'm not concerned. Usually everything in the kettle goes into the fermenter, though I have made a couple double-batches on occasion where one fermentor gets clear wort, and the other gets the bottom of the bucket grunge. After fermentation, both beers come out identically.

Quick Reply