Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Visiting Ithaca Beer - Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
son is a second year Law student.
Heh. EVERYONE at Cornell had more ambition than me.

I'm a 2003 Engineering grad. Amazing school, just wish I had taken more advantage of some of the opportunities I had.

Now you've just given me an excuse to go back and visit

If your wallet is not empty, check out a restaurant called the Heights Cafe & Grill if you haven't already. You'll be glad you did. Also, ask for James and tell him a former employee of his sent you (I used to wash his dishes and support his backoffice computer network), tell him how much you like the food and he may bring you a free dessert.

Only reason I wouldn't live there are the scary icy winters and blistering hot summers, though I suppose this time around I could afford A/C.

Last edited by bernerbrau; 08-01-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
svudah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Only reason I wouldn't live there are the scary icy winters and blistering hot summers, though I suppose this time around I could afford A/C."

Oh, that's what was so fun about it. I have very fond memories of grabbing a growler of Partly Sunny Hef from IBC, some oranges, and then racing back out of the bright sun and into the jet black clouds coming off the lake. Then, I'd sit on my porch and watch the afternoon thunderstorm roll in. I'd do this almost every day. Plus, temperature swings from -30 to 50 degrees in 36 hours give you the constitution of an ox.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #13
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just returned ...will post pic of my ugly mug with Ithaca Brewing sign..

I was so impressed with Cornell. The Law school seems like a set from Harry Potter. The view of the lake from the top of the art gallery is simply breathtaking.

Ithaca Beer - Many tasters there...very friendly staff and servers..decided to try some..very impressed with flower power (I am drinking that now, back home in VT, as I type away. Also got growler of CascaZilla (which was not as aggressively hoppy as I had expected...asked for IBU, they said 70). A clear alcoholic finish.

I could have stayed there all afternoon, but then my son and I would have had to stay in Ithaca for the night, and we both wanted to get back to VT.

They had sold out of the Brute. I stupidly asked if they raise their own Brettanomyces for the Brute. No, we don't. (DUH!)

2 growlers + assorted hats, glasses etc and we escaped under $60. I am no beer expert, but this really is extraordinary tasting beer. I recommend Ithaca Beer to anyone visiting the finger lakes.

Flower Power is BACK

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Last edited by kappclark; 08-02-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
svudah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, this thread has made me really nostalgic about my college days. Nothing like walking up through a gorge beside 150 foot waterfall to get to class.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
gabeweisz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They were just getting started when I graduated - but now they've got some good varieties. +1 on the Flower Power and the CascaZilla.

They used to sell homebrew supplies and kits as well. Not sure if they still do.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[IMG][/IMG]

They still sell homebrewing kits (True Brew)

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
graphicgeek80
Recipes 

Wagner Valley is about 25 miles from Ithaca and they have some pretty good brews. Maybe check them out next time you are staying over.

Wagner Vineyards - About the Brewery

Primary: AHS Special Holiday Ale

Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Sled Dog from Wagner was the only brew I liked by them. I thought the rest were sub-par. Maybe I visited on a bad day. The server didn't know anything about the beers he was serving us.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Oh yeah, forgot. Ithaca makes great beer. I visited there two weeks ago and got a growler of the Nut Brown to go.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Give my regards to Davy....

BS in Animal Science, graduated in 97. At that time, IBC was just starting out....I think they had a couple of different brews in bottles and on draft at the Chapter House.

A fraternity brother also worked with them briefly doing "marketing"...we were never sure what he was doing exactly...obviously working for free beer though!

+1/2/3 to Cascazilla....awesome brew!

Good to see so many Cornellians on HBT.

Quick Reply