Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Visiting England & Ireland; need suggestions for some good pubs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Bierliebhaber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I don't know your travel routes, but if you can swing by Oxford they have a few within walking distance and there are several other sites to see along the way. Eagle and Child is a great little pub where J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis would hold their writer's group to discuss their work. They have a good selection...get a real ale and the bacon burger; it's excellent. Worcester College has a cool underground bar. The White Horse is a few blocks away and it's right next door to Blackwell's bookstore. Museum, theater, libraries, several colleges on the walk in-between...very cool way to spend a day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2130 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1573

A real ale & bacon burger sounds great on a cold blustry day like this.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
NateLTB
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber View Post
I don't know your travel routes, but if you can swing by Oxford they have a few within walking distance and there are several other sites to see along the way. Eagle and Child is a great little pub where J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis would hold their writer's group to discuss their work. They have a good selection...get a real ale and the bacon burger; it's excellent. Worcester College has a cool underground bar. The White Horse is a few blocks away and it's right next door to Blackwell's bookstore. Museum, theater, libraries, several colleges on the walk in-between...very cool way to spend a day.
I may have to make this part of the trip. Sounds great!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Brewers love flavor and depth of taste. You should not miss the Jameson distillery tour and tasting Jameson the right way.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
Wig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The Porterhouse in the Temple Bar area in Dublin is good. Not far from Trinity College.

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Gotta hit the Brazen Head because of how old and neat the pub is. When I was studying abroad there I use to spend a lot of time at the Portabello Pub because it was a short walk from my house. It's nothing special, but it's still pretty cool. The Cobblestone is a cool pub as well. If you like Heavy Metal music there is a pub called Fibber McGee's that played Heavy Metal in the basement on weekends. I would suggest avoiding Temple Bar, as it's mostly an over crowded tourist trap.

Edit: should have mentioned these are all in Dublin!

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Reason: Missing critical info!
NateLTB Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #17
DavidJP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

CAMRA produce a good beer/pub guide which might be worth picking up. Its lists loads of places but could give you a starting point. Published every yr so should be fairly up to date for whatever village/town/city you're visiting.

http://www.camra.org.uk/gbg

Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #18
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
When you're in Dublin, check out the porterhouse brewery for Irish craft beer
I agree. I spent a couple of nights there last year. They have a great oyster stout and several other good brews. The problem with Ireland is that most of the pubs all have the same stuff. Distribution is tightly controlled. You will actually see a lot of Bud and Coors on tap in a lot of the pubs..

If you can find it Kilkenny on tap is great. A great Irish Red on Nitro.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber View Post
yep. i used to live there and spent a good few afternoons in both of those. but the turf tavern remains my favorite in oxford. it's kind of hidden, dangerous if you are tall (low beams painted black), and has a little beer garden heated with braziers nestled in a corner of the original, older than yo grandma's wooden teeth, city wall. always has a good and changing selection of cask ales, and generally crappy service from bored students

Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I just booked my tickets to Ireland today (traveling last week of May first two weeks of June). I will be watching the suggestions closely and anticipating the trip report. Do we have any Irish members on here? I would love to spend an afternoon sampling homebrew in Ireland if anyone would have me. I'll even send some of mine before I leave!

Quick Reply